Chapter 8 Part 2

I uncomfortably adjusted my jumper, feeling the heat suck the life out of me. I needed water. I needed to get this damn death trap off of me.

"Want a water?" Zayn asked, reading my mind again. I sighed with a shrug.

"Yeah, that'd be great," I answered unenthusiastically. I felt a hand on my arm.

"I know you want to get out of that jumper, but the marks--" I pulled my arm away.

"That counts as touching," I hissed. The heat was getting to me. "Can't you lower the temperature a bit?"

"Look, I'm tired enough as it is. One more trick like that and I don't think I could walk faster that a slug. Don't abuse me."

"Well, a little water bottle isn't gonna help that much."

"Don't be a brat." I turned to him.

"What'd you call me?"

"You heard me."

"I'm not being a brat." He raised his eyebrows at me. "Okay, maybe I am. But I'm hot and tired and confused. I deserve to be a little bitchy."

"I didn't say bitchy, I said bratty. You're not that bad. Yet." I sent him a half smile and spotted something behind him in the distance. "So you want that water now?"

"No, don't waste your energy. Come here." I took his hand and walked him over to the mini red water tower in the little kid area of the park. I began taking off my jumper so I was just in the tank top underneath it

"Don't, it's dangerous!"

"I thought I was always safe with you. Not that you've explained what that means." I threw my jumper to a nearby bench as the obnoxious horns of the countdown began.

"Hey-- What's happening? What's that--" The tube sticking out of the water tower shot out a rush of cold water.

"Woo!" I screamed as the rush of water poured over us. I felt relieved of the heat with each drop. I felt Zayn's arm leave my grasp. A few seconds later, the water stopped, leaving only a couple of drops dripping. I turned around to see him staring at me with a small smile on his face. In his hand was my jumper.

I suddenly felt self conscious, wrapping my arms around myself. I stared back at him for a few seconds before he started walking over. I looked away, feeling stupid.

"What are you looking at?" Zayn handed me the jumper.

"Please put it on," he said quietly. I took it and looked at him expectantly. He chuckled and said, "You looked beautiful, under the fountain."

"Beautiful? Is that another chat up line?"

"Nope, just a fact. Please put the jumper on. It's for your safety." I looked at him oddly.

"Am I in danger?" He cursed under his breath and closed his eyes, as if wishing he hadn't said that.

"The marks are quite powerful. You never know what someone would do to you because of them." I nodded and cleared my throat.

"I figured this could only get worse," I replied with equal quietness. I was beginning to think this was a mistake. He only brought trouble.

"But that's why I'm here," he said quickly, grabbing my hand. I felt the shape of his hand change on mine. "My sister says we shouldn't be together, but I can protect you. I will keep you safe."

"Sister? You have a sister?" He glared at me like I was being rude. "Right, your sister, of course." Geez, is it so bad to not think he had siblings?