01│SACRIFICE

0.1; Sacrifice

" a true hero sacrifices itself for the ones he/she loves the most "

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

   "THEY HAVE MY family, Buck. I can not let anything happen to them." Odessa whispered through the phone. She now stood in front of the Avenger's tower. "I'm sorry. Please, don't hate me like they do." She sighed, looking down at the pavement as the tears started to fall.

   "Dessa, don't do it. Just wait, five more minutes. We are almost there." The ex-HYDRA's assassin said through the other line. His throat closed up as he knew Odessa was not going to wait; she was going to do the other most intelligent idea: sacrifice herself for her loved ones. It was a quality he loved and hated about her. In this exact moment, he hated it with a burning passion. "Dessa, please don't be stupid. I will never hate you," James said, knowing she was more than broken by the betrayal of them. "Look, please don't do this. We will figure it out."

   "I can not risk anymore lives," Odessa, pulling out three pictures from her back pockets. The first one, was her and her family. The second one, was her and her new team. The last one was her and James kissing. She let her tears fall down the last one. "I can not lose you, Buck. Promise me something," She sobbed, knowing this will be their eternal goodbye.

   "Anything." Bucky said, trying to let his voice weaver.

  "Look after my family, my younger brother. Tell them I did it for them. I know I would not get a chance to tell them myself." Odessa, putting her picture in the hidden pocket in her jacket; the one that was right above her heart.

   "Don't say that," Bucky told her. He did not want to believe what she was saying, because he knew she was saying her goodbye. "You will be able to tell them that yourself." He said, pressing on the gas pedal, waiting to get to her on time. "I promise you that,"

    "Do not make promises you can not keep. I love you, Buck. Always." Odessa said before hanging up the phone. James threw the phone to the side in anger. Odessa, walked through the entrance of the tower. She pressed the floor she once knew too well. The elevator's glass floor allowed her to see how the floor grew smaller with the people on it. She wondered if that was going to watch over her loved ones when she dies. When the door's of the elevator opened, Odessa's tears flew down her cheeks more. She saw her parents and brother on a glass jail looking at her. Her 14th year old brother, hit the glass repeatedly, knowing the trap that was made for her.

   "I knew you will come for them." The voice made her stiffen. She turned to looked at the icy blue eyes that she once loved, and somewhat she still loved. She knew those empty blue eyes that belonged to the man she loves were not truly his.

   "You doubted me, Steve?" Odessa said, standing tall in front of one of the people she trusted the most with her life. It was ironically that it will be the one that will take it away form her in just a few moments. "You let them out, I'm already here. Danvers is not here and neither is Barnes." She told him, glaring at him. He had a strong hold of his shield. The shield that she had a small replica of in her back pocket of her jeans. She took it, and showed it to him.

    "I want them to watch." Steve said, his eyes landing on the small blue, red and white shield in her hand. His eyes seemed to change, and Odessa was filled with false hope; but they turned to their empty ones. It seemed to be ages since he has given the neckless to her. It was for their third anniversary.

   "No," Odessa, glaring at him. "You will not." She yelled at him. Odessa, felt warm angry tears emerge through her eyes; but she will not give him the satisfaction of seeing her cry. She was stronger than that. "Why aren't you fighting her? Why are you not fighting? Before I came here, I wondered why aren't you fighting enough to avoid this? Do you not love me anymore? As our love as been empty this past four years?" Odessa yelled at him. "If then what I think it's true, then it's not coming back. You never cared."

   "I'm not fighting because I will have the satisfaction to see you die." Steve yelled, making Odessa jumped. "I will make your family see. I will make them see your slowly painful death, and I wouldn't be the one." Steve added, looking at his side. Odessa turned to where he was looking, just to her two shots.

    Rebecca Nilles, Odessa mother let our a cry. Odessa looked down at her chest to see the blood start to appear to her dark shirt. She looked up to see the source of it, to see Nathasha lowering down her gun. Odessa, was about to look for support when she was pushed to the wall. Odessa let out a soft groan as the wind was knocked out of her. She looked at Tony, lowering his arm as well. He lifted her by her shirt, and threw her to the glass table. Odessa felt herself become slightly dizzy. She coughed blood, while looking at Steve, who was now standing above her. She turned to look at her family, who were watchign with tears in her eyes.

   "Any last words?" Steve said, raising his shield. He was struggling to do it, and Odessa noticed this. However, she knew it will be no use; she knew the spell that had been casted on her old friends and lover was stronger than any of them. She knew he was going to be the one finishing her up, and she was okay with that. She was dying to safe her loved ones, and she was glad this was the way she was going down. Dumbledore's words sparked on her head: after all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

   Odessa looked towards her family, mumbling a simple I love you. Those simple three words, meant so much to them. It was her goodbye to them, and she was accepting that. She will not see her brother go to high school nor marry. She turned to face Steve, with a simple look on her. Her lips were full of blood. She let a tear down her face. "Don't hate yourself for you are about to do. I loved you, and even though I hate myself for doing it. Those four years, were the best of my life. Although, I'm tired of hoping you will fight back to her. It seems you will never will, and I understand that in the most painful way." Odessa said, letting some of her blood fall from the side of her lip.

    "Pitiful words, Odessa. I will enjoy this for sure." Steve said, ignoring her honest words. He used all his force to hit her with her shield. He did not stop, while the family let out cries of agony. He heard a clark, and he stood up.

    "No!" Steve turned to looked at the source of the cry. James stood up in front of the elevator. He had come in just in time to heard Steve crack her skull. He looked down at the blood surrounding her. "What have you done!" James yelled at him, taking his gun out. Spider-Man was right behind him, with Quicksilver. "Get them out," James mumbled to both of them. Peter walked towards the gas jail, opening it with a code. He walked to the teenager, who was crying for his sister who will never wake up. Quicksilver, took the three of them out of the building and towards safety.

     "James," Peter told him through his masked face, knowing he had fallen for Odessa. "You aren't like them." He said, looking down at the body of Odessa. Her face was so beat up, she could recognized her.

    "Well, you might be wrong, Mister Spider." A woman said, appearing from the shadows. She had her blonde hair, hiding most of her face, but her purple dress gave her away. "He is so much like them." She said, making a gesture with her hand. Peter noticed that the gesture had woken up the clarity all the rest of the Avengers once held. Steve looked down at the body of Odessa.

    The shield hitting the floor was hear as well as one shot. The women with the purple dress fell to the floor lifeless. James put the gun down, as he knew that he knew that the witch will not be able to woke up with a bullet in his head.

    Natasha covered her mouth, as everything back to her. She let go of the gun at her hand as it was radiactovive. "Oh my god," She mumbled as she saw Odessa's lifeless body. She swore to Odessa that as long as she was with her, she will protect her. Now, she was the reason why she was dead. She was frozen on her place with Tony.

    James knelt down her body. He brushed the hair off her face, while he let the tears fall. "I'm sorry." He mumbled, brushing her place cheeks. He looked down at the rest of her beaten off body. "I love you too." He whispered loud enough for only him to hear it, putting her forehead against her bloody one. "and I always will." He said, louder this time. He let the tears fall down his face as he held her close to her body. He ignored the sobs coming from Steve, and Peter trying to tell him to take her with them. He just was aware of Odessa's dead body. He saw something sticking out of her hidden pocket. He looked down at the picture of her and him that was now stained red. He kissed her forehead, and cleaned the tear that had fallen before she died. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." He mumbled, holding her closer to his body.