Five

We were back at his hotel room. His parents got conjoined rooms, but we had neighbors on the other side too. We heard yells telling us to keep quiet and bangs on the wall that signaled for is to hush. 

He headed over to the mini kitchen when "Lego House" came on the radio station we were listening to. Mostly, it just played dumb pop songs but I liked this one. I started humming the melody.

"I'm gonna pick up the pieces, and build a Lego house."

I didn't notice he was looking at me.

"I'm out of touch. I'm out of love. I'll pick you up when you're getting down. And out of all these things I've done, I think I'll love you better now."

I was looking at my shoes when the song ended. I looked up and his eyes were misty, full of joy and sadness.

"Alder? Are you okay?"

"Alexis, your voice. It's something I've never heard before. It's like an angel. It's beautiful. It's amazing. It's -"

He paused and looked at the floor embarrassed. I went over to him and took both his hands in mine.

"I don't really sing. I write songs."

Slowly, a smile spread across his face.

"Well you're perfect at everything, aren't you?"

He was about to say something else as my phone rang.

I sprinted over to the living room and then jumped over the couch in a dive.

"Whoa slow down! What's the hurry?"

"I forgot to call my mom!", I said frantically.

"ANSWER NOW.", he screamed.

I picked up and started speaking.

"Hello? Hey. What's up. No. I know. I'm sorry. Gotcha. Sure. I will. I know. Don't worry. Okay. Love you. Bye."

I looked up to Alder who had a panicked look on his face.

He looked adorable.

"Are - are you in trouble?!"

"No, I'm fine."

"Oh thank goodness."

He pulled me into a warm embrace. I tensed at first and then sunk into him. He smelled so good and his body was warm. I could hear his heartbeat and feel his chest rise and fall. I didn't want to pull away. I wanted to stay in this moment forever and always.

He pulled away, sighing.

"Alexis?"

"Yes?"

"Follow me."

"Why should I follow you, mister?"

"Well because you will without a doubt will love the destination, misses."

And with that, he grabbed my hand tightly, and it seemed like he was hanging on to more than just my hand.

He was hanging onto me.