Six

Alder slowly opened the door and crept past his parent's room. We were strictly told not to leave his room. But hey, what's a rebel without a cause?

I was following behind him, quietly.

He turned for a moment and signaled for me to be quiet with his finger.

We came to a door which said "Employee's Only".

We headed up the forbidden stairway, still being quiet with our steps. Reaching a door that was the roof access I supposed, I stepped toward it and Alder behind me.

"Open it.", he said quietly.

So I did.

Bright lights of orange and red, as well as a slight breeze hit me. You could hear the busy city below us, but in that moment, it was just Alder and I.

When my eyes came into focus, I gasped and let go of his hand so I could cover my mouth.

We were on the roof, looking over the whole city.

There was a small blanket set on the end, with a McDonald's bag. Sure, it wasn't like a fairy tale picnic but it sure as hell felt that way.

He was my prince.

I looked to Alder who was beaming at me.

"You like it?"

I ran into his arms like a lost child looking for warmth.

"Thank you so much! I love you!"

He returned the hug and then pulled away.

"You mean that? You love me?"

"Of course I do! You're awesome!"

He looked disappointed at first and then faintly smiled. He walked over to the blanket and started unpacking.

"Are you okay?" I asked walking over.

He was about to respond when we heard sudden booms and crackles off in the distance.

Fireworks.

They were so bright and vibrant that our faces were dashed in color. The reflection in Alder's eyes turned pink and red as the fireworks exploded.

Alder motioned for me to come sit down beside him. I did, and he moved the bag so I was sitting right next to him.

I realized that I was tired and laid my head on his shoulder, while he put his arm around me, holding on tightly as if I might blow away.

I looked at him and he turned to looked at me.

He turned and so he was facing me, pulling me in close. I could feel his warm breath on my neck which made me shudder. He interlaced one of his hands with mine and used his other hand to gently touch my face.

I don't know who leaned in first but it was the kind of kiss that made me know that I was the happiest in my life.

The fireworks burst behind us, as my heart raced and my soul flooded with happiness. This was what I was waiting for. I was waiting for him.

And now, here he was.