Eight

After 20 minutes of reapplying my makeup and straightening my hair, we were ready.

We said goodbye to his parents and then headed down the street to the subway to get our transit cards.

I had once lived in Chicago, so this was an easy breeze for me. As for Alder, not so much.

"Damn machine."

I couldn't help but smile.

"What're you smiling about?"

"You're freaking adorable talking to a machine like that. Here, let me help."

I reached for where we had his hand and instead of pulling his away, he left it there. Our hands touched for a moment or two.

I looked into his deep brown eyes and noticed the small freckle underneath his eyes. The little scar on the side of his mouth.

The machine interrupted my thoughts as the card came rushing out. He grabbed it and then we hopped on the subway car, careful not to step elsewhere. The car was rather bus, I guess people going to their jobs, so we were crammed against ourselves.

"Where to first?" I asked him.

"Ooh, the wall of china." He said with a smile.

"Alder."

"What?", he smiled sheepishly.

"We're in Japan."

"Ohhhhh yeahhh..", he replied, his cheeks turned fuchsia.

"What about the Kiyomizu-dera in Kyoto?"

"The what?"

I laughed and said,

"Just follow me."

With that he smiled and placed his hand on my leg. I moved my hand close to his and he intertwined the two. For thirty minutes we were on that subway car and we never stopped holding each others hand.

"Stop 24, Kiyomizu-dera."

We stood up and unwrapped our fingers from each other's. I wiped my hand on my dress, sticky from his hand, and then continued out of the car  to step outside.

The view was breathtaking as we stood upon a mountain overlooking the most beautiful scene of landscape. I looked beside me and saw Alder's eyes glazing over as he stared into the mist of the forests and waterfalls.

"This is amazing."

"I know."

"Maybe we should go look around and not just stand here.", he laughed.

I laughed also as I realized that we had been standing there for at least five minutes looking.

We came across a small pond where a few swans were swimming. I had never seen swans in person, they were beautiful creatures. A small bench sat in the middle, with a walkway leading to it. It was the beginning of autumn, and leaves lined the walkway making it seem magical as if a positive energy was radiating.

The pond was hidden away from the rest of the attraction and it was deserted with hardly no noise. I walked first to the bench with him following behind.

We sat down and he put his arm around me and pulled me close. I glanced over and he was smiling looking at the clear water.

"Why're you smiling?"

"Well, I'm here with my best friend, the most beautiful girl I've laid eyes on at the most beautiful pond I've ever seen."

I smiled and said, "This best friend, what's she like?"

"She's gorgeous. She can always make me smile. She makes me laugh. Her smile is beautiful. Her personality is amazing. She makes me happy. I love her."

He smirked and looked at me.

"Kiss the hell out of me, please."