Chapter XII

"You're leaving already, Brother?" Darron questioned concernedly. We were currently congregated in Darunia's "office," discussing the plan Sheik and I had concocted after I had learned what Sheik had called "Saria's Song." We had to head to the Kokiri Forest, just south of the Lost Woods.

Sheik nodded, resigned. "We have to. The fate of Hyrule is at stake, and we can't let Ganondorf trace us back to Goron City. He would slaughter everyone, and things would be worse than if Volvagia had gotten loose. Besides, we have to talk to Saria." He lifted his hood over his head and secured his cowl more firmly, concealing the majority of his face.

"And I would have loved to come with you all, but I must protect the brethren," Darunia stated, "which is why I will be sending you, Darron. You are to join the Wanderers in their quest." He gave Darron a hard pat – or slap – on the back. "You're ready, Son."

I froze. Son? Darron was Darunia's son? Successor? What if something happened to him? What would the Gorons do? Would they have to choose another Goron to take over Darunia's position when he passed?

Darron bowed his head solemnly. "You really think so, Father?" he questioned.

Why had he not called Darunia "father" in the first place? I supposed that it was some weird Goron tradition or cultural thing.

"I do, Son," Darunia responded, pulling Darron into a hug. "Now you be careful, you hear me? If something – happens to you like your –" Darunia stopped abruptly, holding back a sob.

Darron embraced his father in return. "I know, Father. You don't need to relive any of those memories. I understand."

Brows furrowing, I resolved to ask Sheik about this whole situation later because, frankly, it confused me. What had Darunia been about to say? And why had Darron silenced him like that? Aqua nudged me discreetly. "Link, we're about to head out."

I nodded absently, the words of the prophecy echoing within my head. Two beams of light. Shadow native to light. Two tears. Burning rage and steadfastness. A shy yet cheerful joy. It puzzled me to no end, and I forced my wobbly limbs to move forward, following my companions.

"Hey, Link," Darunia called, placing a heavy hand on my shoulder. I turned to face him. "You can keep the hammer. It seems to have chosen you. Oh – And bring the Princess over here to see me one day when all this is over, you hear?"

Breathing in deeply, fighting to speak, I nodded shakily. "Sure will, Darunia."

"That's my boy," Darunia spoke fondly. He passed his son a salute, which Darron returned readily. "And there's my son."

Leaving the comfort, warmth, and security of Goron City and Death Mountain, we began our descent down the main incline of the mountain. Rings of smoke puffed from Death Mountain Crater, almost as though wishing us farewell. I couldn't help but feel rather sorrowful that we were leaving so soon, but every moment we stayed left more opportunity for Ganondorf and Ren to find us. We had already had to leave Zora's Domain for the safety of the Zoras, as well as Zelda, Nabs, Aziz, and Nabila; the same now had to be done for the safety of the Gorons.

Lifting one weary foot up after the other repeatedly brought us to the bottom of the Mountain after little effort and exertion. We were tired, but the downward path helped provide rest for our fatigued bodies. Aqua and Marine chattered constantly like the good twins they were, and Darron and Cove were walking ahead, talking amiably. Sheik had his hood up and was gazing up at the bright blue sky, kicking rocks with his eyes downcast.

Sighing, I felt the lump in my pocket: my Ocarina. Withdrawing the magical instrument from my pocket, I lifted it to my lips, beginning to play Zelda's Lullaby softly to myself. An image of Zelda, in tears, drifted to my mind – the memory of our departure. She had been so downcast, looking so hopeless. I wanted to bring a smile to her face – to make her laugh. I wanted to see her joy. I loved her laugh and missed it terribly. I missed her terribly! The journey from the Desert to the Domain had been a long and tedious one, and now we were miles apart, the distance growing all the time.