Star Child

My father wraps his arms around my waist. He lifts me up and I am flying. My other father grins at me from behind his book. I wonder for a moment what its about but before I can have any guesses, I am whizzed around in circles.

"Woah! You're getting too heavy for this my girl."

"Aww. Please let me have another go, Daddy Sirius!"

"Let him be Gemini. Your daddy Sirius needs to make dinner now."

"Sorry darling. I'll by you a broom for Christmas." As Sirius headed towards the kitchen, he gave my hair a ruffle.

"Don't do that! My hair isn't short enough for that!" Sirius just giggled, but Remus looked confused.

"Where is that Romulus?"

"Probably in our room or the library, reading. Do you want me to fetch him?"

"Nah. I'll get him when dinner's ready."

Romulus is my brother. He's 1 year,3 months and 5 days older than me. He is starting Hogwarts soon, in 6 days. I am super jealous. Though ever since he got his letter, Romulus has been doing a lot of reading. One advantage of starting Hogwarts is that my parents are talking about giving Romulus his own room.

"Starting Hogwarts is massive. He's old enough now."

"Hmm... with Hogwarts comes inviting boys over.We don't want that too soon."

"Sirius, he might not be gay, you know."

"Of course he is! He's exactly the same as you in every other way. Why not like this as well?"

"That doesn't mean anything. We both had our own rooms when we started Hogwarts."

"FINE! Where will we put him?" So the project of Romulus' room was born.

Over the next weeks, there was a rush to get Romulus' room finished in time for his first holidays. I painted his room blue, his favourite colour and Sirius painted the furniture gold. This was our compromise. Sirius wanted it red and gold for Gryffindor, but I wanted it blue for Romulus' personality.

Sirius got grumpy not long after we started the room. Romulus got sorted into Ravenclaw. Remus said that Sirius didn't care about the House. I asked why, then and Remus said that Sirius doesn't like change much. Maybe I'm less like him than I thought. 

Halloween came and went. Sirius and Remus cried a lot. When I asked why, all they said was 'James and Lily.' Remus told me that I'd find out soon enough. I didn't understand why I couldn't know then. So I decided to visit Harry. I couldn't stay long because Dudley kicked me out. Literally. The small amount of Harry I did see was bruised. I felt sorry for him.

I decided to ask Remus if we could save cousin Harry. Remus had told me previously that Harry was safer with his family, but I no longer believed him. I told them about the bruises and Harry. Sirius got REALLY angry. He told me he'd talk to Dumbledore about Harry. And he did.

When Dumbledore arrived, I was told to go to my room. I eavesdropped because there was no way I was going to miss that showdown. Anyway, Dumbledore kept saying no, even after Sirius told him about the bruises and how mean the Dursleys were. Then Sirius said something about disarming and wand then he ran away. Dumbledore, I mean. He just disapperated. 

Remus was as angry as Sirius when he heard the news. They spent AGES in the library doing goodness know what. When they came out, they both looked a bit ruffled. But Sirius had a solution. It meant defying Dumbledore without disobeying any commands. 

Things took a while to settle down. Harry visited us once a week and it was incredible. My parents persuaded Dumbledore that Harry needed a wizard friend. I completely agreed. I soon showed him my Holley Head Harpies posters and my Doctor Who figurines. Sirius had magiked them to walk around and zap stuff. I thought they were the coolest things and Harry did too. Even though he had never watched the show. According to the Dursleys, the Doctor is weird magic stuff. 

Romulus came back the next week. He absolutely adored his room. Harry and I both thought that Romulus was absolutely bonkers. He started being absolutely obsessed with muggles. I had no idea where it had come from. I mean, Romulus had just spent 4 months straight with wizards. 

It didn't take long to persuade Harry that Gryffindor is the best house. My next challenge was to persuade the Malfoy boy. Yep, that's right. Draco was part of the deal with Dumbledore. Apparently he needed help making friends. Malfoy's parents are awful. I hated them and still do. But I thought that maybe, with a bit of training, he'd turn out fine. 

Harry ended up being the one to win Malfoy over. I couldn't do it, so I used Harry as a last ditch effort. We spent that afternoon celebrating. We were screaming "we are the Gryffindor champions!" I wish. Anyway, back then we were the cutest, most hopeful things. I wish I could go back to then. Those where very happy days.

A few months went by. Nothing very interesting happened. It was just normal life. When Romulus got home, he organised a meeting. It was incredible. After Romulus told us, Sirius pouted and Remus smirked. Their argument was officially over. Romulus had a GIRLfriend. Sirius still thought that Romulus could be bi. When he mentioned it, we all rolled our eyes. Sirius really hates losing. I didn't think it was a big deal. 

It was more of a big thing that Sirius expected me to carry on the gay legacy. I thought I'd be straight just to defy him. I knew I couldn't choose my sexuality but still, I was pretty grumpy. Remus didn't expect that of me of course. I think that Sirius was just weird. 

The next weeks were made up of waiting for Hogwarts letters. Myself and Sirius practised levitating books. That was, until one hit Remus in the head. It was just a comic book, so he recovered quickly. Remus was still really grumpy though. I guess he didn't want me breaking rules before I got to school. But what can I say? I,even back then, was a true Black. The daughter of Sirius, the one surviving Star Child.