Graduation

As usual, this does't belong to me. The master of all, JK Rowling has full ownership of the Harry Potter universe and am just here for the fun of it. Thanks heaps everyone.

There was a definite buzz in the air. Graduation was coming up, and almost everyone was excited. Sirius only said 'almost' because there was no sign of extra life from the weirdo, Lupin. No one knew much about Lupin. He was quiet and was away quite often. It was little known that Lupin had Leukaemia, and very few knew about his mother, or even knew his first name. Sirius had to think very hard to remember it. 

The day arrived more quickly than expected. Everyone was bouncy, more bouncy than usual at least. There were sparkles and posters everywhere. The only mystery was the case of who would be the student with the highest honours. Everyone knew how important it was as, at medical school, jobs would rely on it. There were four or five options, as far as Sirius went. Frank Longbottom, James Potter, Severus Snape, the Lupin boy (was his name Rodney? Ron? Remus?) and himself, Sirius Black.

The awards were announced from the worst to best, until there were only five of them left. Frank left first, then Sirius. Sirius got a massive slap from his mother (even James winced) when he went to sit down with her. Snape went next, scowling. Then James, grinning wider than ever. Everyone realised who the honours must have been at the same time. There was silence. Then there was a yell of "he's never here. It's rigged!" Chaos fell.

Once the professors had gotten everyone silent, Remus Lupin was announced as the student with the highest honours. No one clapped. There were no Lupin relatives and no friends. No one cared that the once hopeful young boy was slowly dissolving on stage. Sirius was angry. He was angry that  no one cared for the lost boy and everyone was selfish. He was angry that he'd always let his mother boss him around. He could be brave. He could escape. He stood up.

Sirius cheered like his favourite singer was in the room. He cheered and whooped, even when his mother tried to pull him down. Soon, the Potters stood up and joined in. Then almost everyone was applauding for the small boy. Even though Sirius knew that Remus would die before any of them, he felt for the smallest kid, and the smartest, in their year. 

When the assembly broke, Sirius saw Remus looking for him. He also saw his mother scowling at him. He turned and walked out the door. Remus found him first. Sirius smiled at him. Remus said thank you so quietly that Sirius almost didn't hear him. He felt so... there was no word for it. Sad, happy, pleased, embarrassed. Maybe he was the only one in the school that cared about Remus. 'Care' Sirius thought, 'care for him.' Maybe the only word for his emotion was love. Sirius blushed and pressed Remus against the wall. Remus looked shocked, then leaned into him. They kissed for too long and for not enough time. 

"Won't your parents hate you for this? I've seen them..."

"Yes. But that doesn't matter any more. I'm done caring about them. I'll probably be disowned." Nervous laughter bubbled out of Sirius' mouth. "I'll look after you, Remus. Until your dying day, I'll be there. Every day, every doctors' appointment, every happy time, and every sad time. I love you. Love."

"Nobody's ever loved me before, except for my mother."

"Me too. We can learn together. Together."

Ok everyone. Did you enjoy it? I just made it up really quickly and haven't edited it, because I'm supposed to be doing homework. I love you all, and hope you're enjoying your lives. On a completely unrelated note, have you all heard Troye Sivan's 'The Fault in Our Stars' song? It was what inspired me to write this. Thanks to you, Troye and John Green. Again, I love you all so much. 

Alex