Chapter Eight

He was chasing me, my father. His footsteps were much quicker than mine and I knew any minute he would catch up to me and claim me as his. But I wasn't his anymore, I couldn't be. I didn't want to be.

I then rounded a corner and ended up falling, and it was like my body couldn't move. Like it couldn't function. He towered over me, his large figure becoming a shadow. I screamed for help over and over again, but nobody could hear me. Nobody could hear my cries.

And then when he leaned down and got out the knife, holding it to my neck. "Please don't kill me," I whispered, my voice shaking. He chuckled and shook his head before-

"Avery!" His voice called as he was shaking me, and I screamed more, pushing him with all of my strength. "Avery, it's me Riley!"

Wait, Riley?

Relief washed over my body and my eyes shot open before I saw him standing in front of me, his eyes filled with alarm. I then sat up quickly before I realized I was drenched in my own sweat, and there were tears in my eyes.

"Riley," I mumbled before throwing myself at him and wrapping my arms around his neck before burying my head into his neck. "Why didn't you come for me?" I mumbled before I sobbed loudly.

He looked down at me before kissing the top of my head, his arms wrapping around my waist. "Avery, you had a nightmare." He stated before rubbing my back softly.

I shook my head and lifted my head to look up at him, seeing that he was already looking at me. "My dad, he was trying to kill me. And I tried calling out for help but," I choked over my words, "why didn't you come for me, Riley?"

"I don't know." He mumbled before kissing my lips lightly. "But I promise I will always come for you for now on, alright?" I nodded and he kissed my forehead before lying me down on the bed. He got under the covers beside me before wrapping his arms around my waist, my head lying on his chest.

"It was real." I mumbled. "I know it was."

"Go back to sleep, Avery." He mumbled before his arms tightened.

I nodded before kissing his chest lightly. "Thank you." He nodded before the beating of his heart put me to sleep.

His arms unwrapping from my waist is what woke me up the next morning, and I sat up slowly before seeing him stand up from the bed. He then turned around and looked at me, a grin stretching across his face.

"I have a match today." He said before sitting on the bed and kissing my lips lightly. "So I have to leave early to practice."

"What time is it?"

He looked at the wall and then back down at me before running his fingers through my hair to get the knots out. "Six thirty."

"And what are you practicing for?" He chuckled before shaking his head and standing up. "Hang on."

A match. Oh no.

"A boxing match!?" I stood up and he froze before turning around and nodding, causing my nostrils to flare from anger. "You got hurt last time, Riley. How am I supposed to let you go?"

"I'll be fine." He slung his duffel bag over his shoulder and opened the door.

"That's what you said last time." I crossed my arms over my chest and smirked. "I forbid you to go."

He then froze and turned around to face me, fury in his eyes. "You forbid me?" I nodded and he scoffed before shaking his head and walking over to me, taking my shoulders in his hands. "Do you think you're my mother or something? I want to do this so I am."