Chapter 8.

"We won!!!" I shouted jumping on Jake's back.

"You mean I won." Jake answers. As the guys follow us thru the mall.

"Yeah but I helped you win. So that means we won!!!" I tell him wrapping my arms around his neck and crossing my legs in the front of him so that I get a piggy back ride.

"Are we going to the party tonight? " Mark asks.

"I don't know. Im not really into parties. " Jake answers grabbing onto my legs.

"Yea but I'm sure Mia would like to go?"

"Im hanging out with Jake, so whatever Jake wants to do." I say pinching Jake's cheeks while he tries to knock me off.

"Ok, we'll go for a little while and then go home. We got stuff to do tomorrow."

"What do we have to do tomorrow? " I ask as I get back on my feet.

"I have practice, group and maybe we can go to the movies later." He says looking at us. I put my hands in my pockets while nodding.

"Alright I'll see you guys there." Mark says taking off. I follow Jake to his car and get in. He is still opening the door for me. I sit back and start thinking. It's never good when I do.

"Jake thanks for bringing me. That was a lot of fun."

"Glad you had fun Mia." He says and starts driving. It feels awkward now. At least I feel awkward. I don't know what I'm doing here. First it was to escape my family and friends but now I don't know anymore.

"....You don't have to keep me with you if you don't want to. I can just go to Ryan's." I tell him trying to let him off the hook.

"Is that what you want? "

"I'm not saying that. Ryan and I are good now sorta. I don't want to make things weird or hard on you. Since we kinda just started talking."

"You and I are good no sorta. Im just not used to having friends that are girls. I usually just hang out with the team. Sure cheerleaders come and hang out but they usually stay away from me. I keep it that way because I'm not interested. "

"So does that mean you might be interested in me? " I ask and start smiling.

"I don't know. In a way. Alright now its awkward."

"I like you to Jake, in a way." I say and start laughing.

"What way?"

"I like for the first time I feel safe around someone and it doesn't make me remember every second that I have to go back to feeling scared again. I feel myself looking for you because if I see you it will be okay and I don't know why because I've only known you two days. I just want to be near you, like your my person."

"You don't have to go back. You can stay at mine. You can stay safe. "

"I will stay as long as you want me around. You have to tell me when you want a break from me or if you just want me to go." I tell him. He nods at me as he pulls in his driveway. He helps me grab my stuff. We put my stuff in his and I start my laundry.

I follow him upstairs and see his mom in the kitchen cooking. He walks over and gives his mom a kiss on the cheek. Grabs two bottles of water out of the fridge.

"Mom, this is Mia. Mia my mom." Jake says handing me a bottle water. Jake's mom comes over and pulls me into a hug.

"Nice to meet you Mia. Jake treating you okay. "

"Yes ma'am. "

"Good. Jake go get your brother." She says and he gets back off the stool. I hear him go out the door.

"Mia I'm Cindy. We do have rules in this house. I will let Jake tell you them. Im fine with you sharing Jake's room. I've raised the boy right so I trust him completely and I'm going to trust you. Jake has group tomorrow and church on Sunday. It's completely up to you if you want to go. I don't know your background. If there is a different church your used to going to just tell Jake to bring you. He usually spends sunday doing homework since he has to much going on during the week. If you can help him thats great if not please let him keep on schedule. He's trying for a scholarship. He was born with a great arm but he has to work harder with his school work. We don't ask much, the longer you decide to stay we will sit down and talk it out more. If you want to do that talk sooner let me know and we can help you get your life plan set up."

"Life plan?" I ask feeling confused.

"Have you thought past high school?"

"Not really. " Now I feel like disappearing.

"How about Sunday while Jake is doing his homework we will set up some goals for you to start focusing on."

"Okay. " I say now feeling stupid for not really thinking about life after high school. I've been so caught up in what's going on I never thought about the future. What was I going to do? Just follow Ryan around and hope for the best?

Jake comes back in with a boy that looks just like him. Jake goes to the sink and starts washing his hands while the kid starts setting the table.

"Is there anything I can do?" I ask.

"You can start bringing the food to the table. " Cindy answers. I start bringing the food over to the table. I introduce myself to the little boy and talk to Sam alittle. I can hear his mom and Jake talking quietly. I go back into the kitchen to grab the bowl of spaghetti. I love spaghetti and meatballs. Jake smiles at me. He follows me out carrying the milk.

He sits down on one side of table and looks at me to sit next to him. I take the chair next to his as his father comes in. He looks at us and then Sam.

"Dad this is Mia, Mia my dad Joseph."

"Hi sir."

"Hi Mia. So you will be staying with us? "

"As long as its okay?"

"Do we know your parents?"

"Im not sure. Francis and Alma Dorian."

"I might have known your father. What's he do now?"

"He's a truck driver. He comes home once a month."

"They are okay with you being here? "

"They don't know where I am. I don't usually stay at home. I texted my mom that I would be home monday. I didn't plan on staying just to check in with her."

"Okay we will talk later." Joseph says and starts passing the bowls. He bends his head and they all follow. I mimic them. He says a short prayer and then we all start eating.

After we cleaned the kitchen up and put everything away. They asked to talk to me. I went in the office and shut the door. They asked me about everything going on. Said it would be easier if they understood. Afterwards I felt like the broken bird Jake found and asked his parents to help fix.

Please comment and vote.  Tell me what you think.  Next is almost done.