Chapter 9.

I go downstairs and see Jake propped against a pillow on his bed. I drop his flannel shirt on the floor and climb on the bed. I climb up in between his legs and lay my head against his chest. I pull his arms around me so that he's holding me.

I feel his head lay against mine. I sit here concentrating on his heartbeat. I close my eyes just listening. When I was talking to his parents I didn't think they would understand. So I took Jake's shirt off so I was wearing just my tank top. I put all bruises and scars on display.

I asked them not to pity me. Just to understand why I don't go home. My mom is bipolar and has really bad anger issues. She's always really bad. Its just worse when my dad's around. I tried telling my dad about it but he didn't believe me. So I only go home when he's not around.

Even then I might stay one or two nights. It just depends if she's taking her medication. I sometimes can get her to take it but she doesn't like how it makes her feel. I don't like how she makes me feel.

I was so focused on just getting thru day to day that I forgot about my future. I know there was days I didn't think I would survive to run to Ryan. But I have and I will.

I stay cuddled in Jake's lap. I push his hand against my face. We sit here a couple more minutes. I no longer feel upset but now I feel something else. Feeling his skin against mine makes me want more.

"Feeling better?" He asks.

"Yeah, but my butts comfy now." I tell him. I grab his hand and lick it then run for the bathroom. As I look back at him, he's looking at his palm that I licked like he doesn't know what to do.

"Girls are so weird. " he mumbles wiping his hand on his pants. He turns the volume back up on the tv. I go ahead and get ready to go out.

I decide to wear a dress. I want to dress up. I want Jake to start seeing me as more than someone that needs to be rescued. I straighten my hair and put on makeup. I love this dress.

I look at my arms. I decide to just use some concealer. At least they won't stand out. I look myself over again. I take a breathe and walk out. He's wearing a black under armour pullover and jeans.

His mom was hanging out with him when I came out. She looks at me and I look down looking at my dress again. I think it looks good. I look at Jake. He hasn't said anything yet but he's looking at my legs.

"Is that kinda short?" Cindy asks.

"I didn't think it was. I just thought it was pretty."

"It is pretty. Where did you get it?"

"Macy's. I work part-time there so I get a good discount."

"Oh when do you work again? "

"I go back Monday. I work after school." I tell her and she nods.

"Are you ready to go?" Jake asks.

"Yeah. " I tell him as I put gold heels on.

"Be home before 1. I don't want you on the road when the bars let out. Have fun you two." She says and goes back upstairs.

"Jake, do I look okay?"

"You look pretty. " He says to me. I let out a breath.

"Okay lets go."

We get to the party and park down the street. I grab Jake's hand and intertwine our fingers. He looks at our hands as we walk. Not pulling away but I guess getting used to it.

"Jake, I decided your mine. Im keeping you. "

"Your keeping me?" He asks softly no longer looking at our hands.