Chapter 6

Peeta

"So, Katniss," Caesar Flickerman says with that telltale smirk on his face. "Is it true that when you formed Starcrossed with Peeta that you had finally hit rock bottom as was predicted earlier in your career?" Katniss looks down uncomfortably and I squeeze her hand gently. She gives me a small smile before answering.

"If rock bottom is partying every night, going to work with a hangover, and firing your band for no apparent real reason, I'm afraid I might have been lower than that," she says. "A lot of people didn't know that besides my problems with drinking, I was also smoking quite a bit of pot. It's not that I had a problem, it's just the fact that I was high made me just not care when it came to the important stuff. My band quit on me because I was self destructive and I guess I really didn't care. You'd think that that would be a wake up call, but it just really didn't affect me."

"And what did affect you and make you want to change?" He asks. Katniss turns to me and smiles.

"Peeta," she says.

"Me," I say.

"Yeah," she says. "When they first brought you in to see me, and you told me how much you looked up to me, how we were both from small towns in Kentucky and the fact that I made it made you believe you could to. You acted like you wanted this life, and I was horrified. Because you were so innocent. You had no idea what a screwed up mess I was. You still believed in me when a lot of people had given up on me." She looks down, a slight blush forming on her cheek. "So I guess you kinda held up a mirror and made me look at what I was doing. You were my wake up call." I smile at her and Caesar chuckles.

"How long have the two you been together?" He asks.

"We aren't," I say. Katniss shakes her head in agreement.

"Yeah, we're best friends, but last I checked, we weren't dating," she says.

"Oh, well that's just too bad," he says. "I think a lot of us were thinking with a name like Starcrossed, you two were an item. Especially with a music video like the one you two made."

"I was kinda wondering the same thing, Caesar," I think.

"Well, we're performing today," Katniss says. "So I guess you guys get to see first hand how we work together."

"Oh, that's so exciting!" He says. "Well, we'll let you two get ready and we'll be right back to enjoy your performance." We nod and after a few moments, we are told we are allowed to get up.

"So, we're singing?" I ask Katniss. She shrugs.

"We're singers," she says. "It's kind of our job." She walks over to her guitar and starts messing with it and her mic.

"And what song will we be singing?" I ask her.

"Not song, songs," she says. "I decided on my 'My Maria' and 'Ticks'. I know that I don't sing as much as you do in those songs, but they already know my voice and they already know who I am. It's time for them to meet you." She smiles at me, the same way she does whenever she wants something. "Is that okay?"

"No, that's fine," I say. "I just wish I had had a little more forewarning." She just shakes her head.

"Don't worry too much, you'll be fine," she says. "You always are." She walks away and I start getting my own stuff ready, still wondering what it would be like for her to be more than just my friend.

As its time for us to perform, Katniss stands beside me and we start playing the song together. She smirks at me as I start singing.

(I highly advise listening too the actual song or else the lyrics won't make much sense)

"My Maria don't you know I've come a long, long way
I been longin' to see her
When she's around she takes my blues away
Sweet Maria the sunlight surely hurts my eyes
I'm a lonely dreamer on a highway in the skies" Katniss takes a deep breath and sings the high notes through the chorus.

"My Mari-
"Oh my Maria
"Mari-
"Maria, Maria I love you

"My Maria there were some blue and sorrow times
Just my thoughts about you bring back my piece of mind
Gypsy lady you're a miracle work for me
You set my soul free like a ship sailing on the sea
She is the sunlight when skies are grey
She treats me so right lady take me away

"My Mari-
"Oh my Maria
"Mari-
"Maria, Maria I love you

"My Mari-
"Oh my Maria
"Mari-
"Maria, Maria I love you"

The song ends and there is applause. Katniss waits for it to all die down before she plays the first chords of "Ticks". I play along with her and I start to sing.

"Every time you take a sip
In this smoky atmosphere
You press that bottle to your lips
And I wish I was your beer
In the small there of your back
Your jeans are playing peekaboo
I'd like to see the other half of your butterfly tattoo.

"Hey that gives me an idea
Let's get out of this bar
Drive out into the country
And find a place to park.

"'Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
And I'd like to check you for ticks.

"I know the perfect little path
Out in these woods I used to hunt

"Don't worry babe I've got your back
And I've also got your front

"I'd hate to waste a night like this
I'll keep you safe you wait and see
The only thing allowed to crawl all over you when we get there is me.

"You know every guy in here tonight
Would like to take you home
But I've got way more class than them
Babe that ain't what I want.

"'Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
And I'd like to check you for ticks.

"You never know where one might be
There's lots of places that are hard to reach
I gotcha.

"I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you baby way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
And I'd like to check you for ticks.

"I'd sure like to check you for ticks"

"Ladies and gentlemen, the unstoppable team climbing their way to the top and into our hearts, Starcrossed!" Flickerman says and the room goes into applause again. Katniss turns to me and winks.

"You did great, kid," she says. "Stick with me and we'll go far."