Chapter 18: Gertrud Kapelput

The same exact thing had happened almost everyday. At lunch, Brenda and I would leave to go to the bathroom and talk. Brenda would sometimes be on the verge of tears, she was going through a rough time. Sometimes I would suggest a solution, but most importantly, I would just listen.

If there is anything I've ever learned, it's that sometimes people don't want a solution. They just want someone to listen and tell them that everything will be ok.

It was just another day at lunch as I stroked Brenda's hair. She was crying into my shoulder, her dad was going to be in jail for a while.....possibly prison. It just kept getting worse for her, and I could kind of relate. When they took my dad away I didn't know weather to be upset or angry, I was a little of both.

Brenda finally started to dry up her tears, "They're going to decide soon, I don't know when though. I miss him Harleen."

I hugged Brenda close, "I know you miss him Brenda, and it's alright. Everything is going to be fine."

••••••••

I slipped out of the house again, my mom was still sleeping. At home, my mom was pretty pissed. She tried to tell the police that I stabbed Barry in the eye, but she didn't have any proof. And I was such a sweet and caring girl, why in world would I ever do something so awful? Looks like the joke was on them.

My mom, angered by the situation, had decided to go back to drinking and laid passed out on the couch. I walked down the street towards the Iceberg Lounge, I went every night now. I didn't want to go to Galvan's anymore though, Jerome's words still haunted me at night, chilling me to the bone.

As soon as I went into my dressing room I started to get ready. I put on a regular black to shirt and a red tie and some regular black jeans. I was just finishing my makeup when I heard a knock at the door, but it was a different knock. I was used to people rattling my doors loudly, but this knock was so soft.

I gently put down the makeup and carefully made my way over to the door, I made sure to grab a stick just in case. I carefully unlocked the door with a satisfying click. I opened the door ready to swing.....only to come face to face with an elderly woman. I put the stick down, "I am so sorry, I thought you were someone else...."

"Shhhhh, oh no! No! No! Don't fret my darling!" The elderly woman said in her European accent. "It's only me!" I studied the woman smiling pale face, "Wait, I know you......your Oswald's mother? Aren't you?" The woman smiled, "Yes I am, but you may call me Gertrud!"

I smiled and stuck out my hand, "Nice to meet you Gertrud, I'm Harleen. Harleen Quinzel." Gertrud slide past my hand and gave me a giant hug instead. Gertrud was quite welcoming, and I could feel that I had a soft spot for her. She was the one who encouraged Oswald to hire me in the first place after all.

There was another knock at the door and Gertrud and I looked up to see who it was. "Oswald! I have finally met our shining star!" Gertrud exclaimed, walked towards Oswald. She took his hands in hers, "Isn't she beautiful." Oswald looked up at me, "Yes mother, very beautiful."

"Gertrud, the show will be starting very soon....you should go ahead and take your seat." I said, advising her to leave. "Ahhhhh yes! Come Oswald, we must be ready for Harleen's performance!" Gertrud exclaimed with a dazzling smile. "I'll be there in one second mother, go ahead without me." Oswald said.

Gertrud smiled back at me again before leaving the room, then Oswald shut the door.

"I'm very sorry for the disruption..." "It's not a problem." I said, cutting Oswald off. "Your mother is very kind, I enjoy being with her." Oswald smirked as he stared at the ground, "Yes, but she's also very fragile. I just don't want her to get hurt, and the people here can be quite.....rough." "I can start to keep on eye on her more often." I suggested.

Oswald looked up at me, "Are you sure?" I smirked, "Oswald, it'll be fine. I just have to know, do you trust me?"
"What?"
"Do you trust me?"
"Harleen, I trust you a lot more than I probably should."
"Really?"
"Yes, really."
"Why?"

Oswald smirked, "Your on soon." And without another word he was already gone leaving me alone in the dimly lit room. Well, that was different.

••••••••

After the show I sat down with Gertrud and Oswald and had a very long conversation. I was heading home at about 1:00 in the morning. I was not going to be a happy little girl the next morning, but for now that didn't matter. I was finally starting to form a bond with Oswald and Gertrud which meant I would probably still be performing for a while.

I came back I through the front door, my no was still passed out on the couch. The only difference was that there was two more broken empty bottles on the floor, great job mom. Just great.

I quietly brushed my teeth and changed in the bathroom, I was exhausted. I walked into my room and shut the lights off, making the room pitch black. I crawled up into my big, comfy bed and closed my eyes.

Wait......something wasn't right.
Something felt.......off.
No, not something.....someone.
Someone was in the room with me, I knew it.
I swore I could hear someone's tiny little heart beating......I went over to the side of my bed.

"Whoever is in my room, show yourself." I demanded.

I was then caught off guard as a shadowy figure reached out from under the bed.

Ok, I've been super busy with this thing called "a life." Before it was super easy to find time to write, but now
I struggle to find any time at all.

Anywayssssss, how did you like the chapter? And what do you think about Harleen starting to get to know Oswald? Also, what's going on with Brenda's life?

Sorry if this was a more slow paced chapter, I wanted to take its bit slower and show some character development.

Well, thanks for reading!💕

XOXO

-CXK