Chapter 19: Windowsill

In mere moments my adrenaline kicked in and I tackled the shadowy figure on the floor. There was low grunt as pinned it against the floor, "Who are you and what do you want?" There was a low relieved chuckle, "Come on baby doll, didn't you miss me."

I then started to make out a face in the bits of moonlight the seeped through my windows, Jerome. "What the hell is wrong with you!" I whisper-yelled. Shit, I'm suppose to be acting more sweet like Harleen right now. I immediately covered my mouth, "Excuse my language....I thought I left you at Arkham Asylum."

"Give it up Harleen." Jerome said. "I know that your Quinn." I was about to object when I realized something, he was right. It was silly by this point to keep going. My stomach plummeted even though I kept on a brave face, "Fine, you got me. Now what? Are you going to go spread the word, tell the whole world? I'd like to see you try....."

"Now Harleen, I'll keep your secret." Jerome said, a giant smile spread across his lips. I gave him a suspicious look, "What's in it for you?" Jerome smiled, "For now, why don't you just start coming back to Theo's-"
"I can't."
"Why not?"
"I've been working somewhere else."
"Where?"
"The Iceberg Lounge, with Oswald."
"Who?"
"Oswa-.......Penguin."
"Oh, that creep."

I gritted my teeth, "Penguins not a creep......he's much less of a creep then you." Jerome snicker, "Oh yeah sweetheart, how?" I tilted my head, "At least he doesn't sneak into my room at night......and he actually pays me for my work."

"What have you been doing for him, murder?" Jerome asked, "His dirty work?" "No," I said, "I've been performing singing acts at his bar, to him I'm just Harleen." Jerome snorted, "Yeah, because you can sing." I curled my hands into fists, "You know what, you've outstayed your welcome." I then grabbed Jerome by the arm and pulled him out the door. I stopped as I saw my mom stretching her arms, still groggy from her nap.

I pushed Jerome back into my room and quietly closed the door, "Shit Jerome! What am I going to do?" Jerome smiled, "Awww, mommy doesn't know who you really are?"
"Sort of."
"What do you mean sort of?"
".....I stabbed my brother in the eye...."
"With what?"
"....a toothbrush....."

Jerome stood there for a second amazed, "Is he dead?"
"No."
"Then where is he?"
"The hospital."
"Then how did you get away from the cops?"
"I told them that Barry slipped and fell and just wanted to blame me."
"Are they suspicious."
"Not at all, or maybe they're just trying to catch me at the right time....."
"I have to say Harleen, I'm impressed."

I heard a soft rumble from the other room, my mom was getting up. She would be checking up on me soon.....oh no. "You have to go now." I stated, I started to push Jerome out the window. "What the hell is wrong with you Harleen? I can't fly!" I growled at him, "Well you better learn how to fly quick, because your going out that window weather you like it or not!"

"Harleen-" I cut Jerome off as I opened my window and began to shove him out. But I shoved him a little too hard. Jerome fell and my scream echoed through the musty old house. "Harleen?" My mothers voice asked, "What's going on in there?" I didn't have time to worry about Jerome, I jumped into bed and pulled up the covers.

The door cracked open and my mom emerged as the door spilled light into my room, "Harleen, what the hell is wrong with you!"
"Sorry, I had a nightmare."
"Go back to bed, I don't have time for your shit."
"Night."

My mom left without another word. Suddenly a wave of emotions rushed over me. Anxiety, pain, worry, exhaustion, despair, sorrow. "Jerome," I called out, "I'm so sorry.....I couldn't save you....." I felt the tears welling up in my eyes.

"You haven't got rid of me yet."

I immediately stopped for a moment, "Jerome?"

"Help me out over here, would ya?"

I rushed over to my window and let out a breathe of air I had been keeping in. Jerome gripped the edge of the windowsill, barley hanging on. I grabbed his arms and heaved him back into the room, "Dammit Jerome, what's wrong with you?" He laughed, "By now Harleen you should know that there's a lot of things wrong with me."

I sat on my bed, "Now let me just ask one last thing, why did you come here in the first place?" Jerome laid down beside me and sprawled out all over my bed, "You never came back to Theo's.....and we kind of need you on the team."
"We or you?"
"Ok, so mostly me. I can't stand those idiots sometimes."

I couldn't help but let out a little laugh, Jerome looked up at me in a weird way. "What?" I asked. Jerome sat up so our faces were barley touching, "Your eyes are quite pretty......I wish I could just pop them out and put them on a keychain. That's a compliment by the way." I smiled, "Oh Jerome, you've just got your own way of saying things....don't you?"

Something buzzed and Jerome pulled a phone out of his back pocket. "Wait, you have a phone?" I asked.
"Doesn't even human being on the planet?"
"Well, except for me."
"You've never had a phone?"
"No.....my mother fucking hates me."
"Ouch, tough luck kid."
"She won't even let me listen to music!"
"What type of music do you like?"
"Ariana Grande....Selena Gomez-"
"Aw hell no, I refuse to let you listen to that fluffy pop crap. Listen to this."

Jerome plugged an earbud into my left ear war and started to pump music into my ears. "It's just instrumental music." I said. "Fuck no." Jerome responded, "Just wait for the lyrics to start playing."

Like walking into a dream, so unlike what you've seen
So unsure but it seems, 'cause we've been waiting for you

The song continued to carry on and I stared to like it more and more every second. "So why is pop worse than this?" I asked Jerome. "Because pop music is just a bunch of made up lyrics and shit......this right here is real music."

"Hmmmm" I laid down on my bed, I was beginning to feel tired. Jerome laid down beside me, barley whispering along to the song.

I don't belong here, I gotta move on dear
Escape from this afterlife
Cause this time I'm right to move on and on, far away from here
Got nothing against you and surely I'll miss you
This place full of peace and light, and I'd hope you might take me back inside when the time is right

And as the music swirled around me, I slowly drifted off into sleep.

Sorry for being so inactive......I'm just a terrible author like that.

ANWAYS, do you like seeing this softer side of Jerome? Or is it a little too out of character? I don't know, I'm writing this at 1:00 in the morning and can barley think......OH WELL. 😝

Well, I'm going to get some sleep and try to write another chapter soon.

(Also I may be posting another book soon so.....yeah 💕)

XOXO

-CXK