Chapter 21: New Challengers

After Team JNPR's battle, there was a short thirty minute break before the next match would begin. So Skyler and Dante decided to just walk around the courtyard, and just point things out and talk. They were childhood friends after all, and they haven't had a lot of time for just the two of them since school started.

But currently, Skyler had brought up the topic of Hazel, and Dante became an awkward mess. It didn't take a genius to see that Dante and Hazel had a thing for each other. And Skyler was using that to his advantage.

After the school dance, Skyler learned that his partner and best friend had went together, he decided to get a little payback for their teasing of him. And from the way they reacted to Skyler's teasing made it all the more easier. In fact, Skyler noticed that his teasing seemed to progress the two's relationship. The two slowly grew closer with each passing day.

Skyler was beginning to think if this is what other people saw before he and Yang starting dating. But back to the conversation...

"For the thousandth time," Dante denied, cheeks fiery red, "Me and Hazel do not like each other!!"

"Sure, sure," Skyler rolled his eyes, smirking.

"Stop that!!"

"Stop what?"

"That look! The snark! You do that every time we deny it!!"

"I told you karma would be swift. I'm just saying. Besides, you two are almost always never away from each other. And don't think I've missed the sideways glances and the blushing. You two aren't exactly the most discreet of individuals. Why can't you just give in and hook up?"

"Didn't it take you years to hook up with Yang when she was doing the exact same thing?"

"True. But you know what the difference between us is? I never denied my feelings. You are."

Dante glared, unable to come up with a retort, "Ugh..."

"Skyler, one point, Dante, zero points," Skyler smirked.

"Hey! I want a point!"

Unfortunately, they were so caught up in their conversation/argument, that they bumped into two people, nearly knocking everyone over.

"Crap!!" Skyler swiftly apologized, "Sorry about that!! We weren't looking where we were going!"

The people they bumped into were a male and a female. The male had white hair, yellow eyes, and had on black, crimson, and yellow attire. The female had scarlet hair, blue eyes, and wore scarlet and black attire. The guy seemed like the 'Mr. Serious' type of guy, while the girl seemed to be a bit more laid back. But the one thing that they had in common was that they both seemed... mysterious. Skyler would bet anything that there was more to them than met the eye.

"Yeah, no kidding," the female grumbled.

"Now now Brittany," the male answered, "Be nice. They didn't mean to."

"Whatever Nathan," Brittany rolled her eyes, before looking Dante up and down and getting a... hungry look, "Helloooooo. You doing anything tonight?"

"Umm..." Dante paled, not sure what to make of the situation.

"I haven't seen you two around here before," Skyler said, purposefully saving Dante from the awkwardness, and stuck out his hand, "I'm Skyler Yin and this is Dante Williams."

"Skyler..." Nathan said with an odd sense of familiarity in his voice, but shook Skyler's hand nonetheless, "Nice to meet you. I'm Nathan and this is Brittany."

"Hello again," Brittany said, still giving that hungry look, now to the both of them.

"So, I'm guessing you're here for the tournament?" Dante asked, trying oh so hard to ignore that look.

"If you must know, yes," Nathan answered, "We're here for the tournament. We chose our other two teammates to compete in the doubles round."

"Where are you guys from?" Skyler asked.

"Atlas," Brittany said, "It's nice over there, despite all the protocol."

"Protocol?" Skyler replied, genuinely confused, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Our business is our own," Nathan glared, but also sent a warning look to Brittany, "We'd prefer if you'd stay out of it."

"Geez, okay," Skyler raised his hands in compliance, "Just a question."

"A personal one," Nathan continued glaring, "We hail from Atlas. That's all you need to know."

Skyler couldn't help but glare back. There was just something about these two that he didn't like. Aside from the obvious Brittany-Stare both he and Dante were getting. They were reserved, but not in the way Blake was when they first met. These two were, for lack of better words, cruel about it. Skyler didn't really like these guys.

"Yeah, whatever," Dante said, clearly feeling the same way as Skyler, "We better get going. Our teammates are probably wondering where we are."

"Yeah," Skyler agreed, "Let's go Dante."

"Nice meeting you~!" Brittany slightly sang as she and Nathan turned and left.

As Skyler and Dante went back to their dorm, Dante stated, "Was it just me, or were those two... odd? Like, in a bad way."

"It's not just you," Skyler replied, "And something tells me we haven't seen the last of them."
_______________________________
"Must you be so lecherous with every guy we meet?" Nathan asked Brittany.

"Why?" Brittany grinned, "You jealous?"

"Of course not," Nathan rolled his eyes, "It just gets annoying."

"Whatever. So, that was that Skyler guy, huh?"

"Correct. Not at all what I expected from what I read from that archive. Not only that, but he seems... different."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Brittany was now genuinely curious.

"I'm not entirely sure. Something about him seems... out of place. I don't know how to explain it. Let's just get back with Edward and Elizabeth."

"Whatever. Keep being ominous for all I care."

Brittany then grinned and took another stab at teasing her friend, "But that Skyler guy's got quite the katana."

"Brittany!!"
_______________________________
Man, I hope I didn't mess up those two... If your wondering about those two, full details on who they are are on H20FLAME's account. They're very interesting characters. But for here on Team SHDW, it's certainly not the last we've seen of Team EBNE. But for next time, we meet everyone's favorite drunk uncle! Till next time guys!