Chapter 36

Manik waited out in the hall, where as Nandini lied inside unconscious. The doctors had been in now for about 3 hours now and by each passing minute Manik became more restless. He wanted to go in there, be with her, hold her in his arms and protect her.....but he just fails each time.

He palmed his face as tears flowed down his eyes.
Why can't life just let him be happy. Where he could lead a normal life with his love, his daughter and his son. Hadn't life already had enough of him.

He closed his eyes as the image of Nandini lying in the middle of the street with blood all round her appeared.

His heart almost stopped at the sight.......he froze at his place thinking whether he could ever move again. He saw people rushing towards her gathering around her.

Manik's legs dragged him up to them as he kneeled beside her. He took her head in his arms and shook it gently. His one hand travelled to her belly trying to keep the little one safe. Tears flowed down his eyes as he removed her hairs to find the wound.

"Please call the ambulance or 911", Manik shouted looking up helpless at the small crowd that had gathered.

A man took out his phone and dialled the number and gave the necessary details of the address.

"They are coming", he replied and Manik looked at him gratefully.

"Thanks", Manik silently muttered and turned back to Nandini. A lot if blood was oozing out from the cut.

Manik stroked her head and mumbled," Everything will be okay Nandu. I won't let anything harm you to."

He then tore a piece of his shirt and pressed it against her wound. The sound of the ambulance brought a little relief to his shattered state.

Soon the paramedics lifted a lifeless Nandini on the stretcher and pushed her into the ambulance. Manik entered after them, seating beside her.

He held her hand as the paramedics did the basics. Manik kept switching his hands from her head to her belly, as tears blurred his vision.