Twenty Four

Ron peered across the table to where Hermione was.

He still was mad about her and Draco, but he couldn't help feeling concern. She was his best friend, after all.

"Hermione..."

He spoke up, and looked up at her. She stayed silent, barely moving. He sighed and continued.

"I'm sorry, for everything. I-"

He was cut off by Harry, who joined the conversation.

"Me too. I just want it to be like old times again. With us three."

He gestured to the trio.

"Oh, and with Ginny, of course."

He added quickly, after recieving an accusing look from his girlfriend.

Hermione nodded.

"I want to as well, but you know we can't go back. We've lost so many loved ones... nothing will be the same again."

Hermione's heart ached as she remembered Fred, and so many more. It was too painful.

"We can try."

Harry placed his palm on top of Hermione's hand. She looked up at him, and nodded.

"Let's visit Hagrid."

They all thought back to their hairy friend and smiled, knowing he would be pleased to see them, since they hadn't been in touch often.

"Yes, let's do that."

Hermione agreed, hoping it would take her mind off Draco.

-

It was chilly out, and they all sprinted towards the all too familiar hut.

"Maybe he'll give us rock cakes!"

Hermione suggested. She tried to sound cheerful, maybe it would help to cover her real feelings.

"Oh, Merlin, I hope not! They are dangerous!"

Ron argued, and Harry laughed.
The four of them had reached the door, and Ginny jumped forward and knocked.

No one was there.

"Hagrid?"

"That's weird, he should be home now," Harry questioned, but no one knew anything.

They were about to head back, when Hermione spotted a figure approaching from te Forest.

"Look!"

She pointed at Hagrid, who seemed to be running closer and closer, holding something is his arms.

"Harry! Get ma'am Pomfrey!"

Came the booming voice of Hagrid, as he stumbled out of the shadows, panting.

Hermione froze when she saw that Hagrid was holding a person. A person she hoped she wouldn't encounter.

Draco Malfoy lay lifeless in the arms of the giant, and it reminded Hermione of the time he got hurt by Buckbeak, but this time it looked much worse.

He was drenched, and pale. Not his usual light tone, but a ghostly, and sickly white.

"I don't know what he's been up to, that Malfoy. He was drownin', I tell ya! Down in the forest lake!"

Hagrid explained, and Ron had already gone to fetch the nurse.

Hermione took a step forward and touched Draco's arm. It was ice cold.

"Bring him to Madam Pomfrey, now!"

Hermione shouted, and deep inside she had a suspicion of why he was in the lake.

She had a feeling that he was in that lake on purpose.

Hermione shivered, and shook her head.

He had no reason to end his life, right? He was the one to hurt her, after all. But the thought had snuck into her brain and she had her doubts.

-

"Is he going to be... alright?"

Hermione hesitantly asked, squirming under the death glare of Ginny.
She absolutely hated Draco, and didn't want to be in a five mile radius of him.

Hermione insisted that she stays, saying that she was curious, but deep inside she was actually terrified. She had to force herself not to run to his side, because her friends were near.

"Well, it is uncertain. Many organs are damaged, and it will take weeks to fix. He almost froze to death, and I have no idea why he would put himself in a situation like this."

The nurse explained, and continued stirring the concoction of herbs and medicine.

"Why are we even here? I don't care about him."

Ginny snapped, venom dripping from her words. She was annoyed, because he had hurt everyone close to her.
Hermione sighed, and turned to face the fiery red head.

"Ginny, I know you'll hate me after I say this, but I do. I care about him."

Ginny's mouth dropped open, and she was speechless.

"Hermione, he's an evil, arrogant, pig. How on earth..."

She saw the look on Hermione's face and stopped, understanding.

"You still love him, don't you?"

It was silent, and Hermione nodded, looking down at her hands.

It was awkwardly still.

"Granger..."

Everyone's gaze fell upon the figure by the door of the hospital wing.

+++

Dun, dun, duuun! Who is it? Haha, you'll have to read on to find out!

Rosie.