Chapter 1: Grandma's

"Zoe? Tyler? Time to go." Diane's voice sounds through the house as she calls out to her children. Zoe thunders down the stairs, eager to get to Grandma's. Running to the closet, she takes her coat and shoes. As soon as both her shoes are securely tied, she sits down on the floor near the door, waiting for her older brother.

"TYLER!" Annoyed by this behavior, Diane screams to her teenage son once more.

"I'm coming! Chill, god!" Phone in hands, earplugs in, a tall, athletic teenager walks slowly down the stairs. As his mom urges him out the door, he grabs his baseball cap and pops it on backwards.

"Do I HAVE to go?" He complains, clicking the seatbelt in place after a heavy sigh. "I have a history test tomorrow that I have to study for."

"Tough luck kid." Diane says, winking at her son. Rolling his eyes, he slumps further into his seat.

Zoe's joyful chatter fills the car as they drive towards their destination. Her brother, pissed off more than ever by his little sister, cranks up the volume of his phone.

After 20 minutes of drive, Diane slows down and pulls up next to a beautiful cottage. A stone path slithers its way through the rose bushes and dahlias. Flower boxes filled with different types of flowers line the front wall, and the corner of the vegetable garden out back is just visible. To Zoe, this is Paradise on Earth.

The little girl runs up to the front door, straining to contain her joy. She knocks enthusiastically, and immediately hears footsteps coming towards the door from the inside.

"Grandma Kate!" She yells, beaming, as the door opens on her favorite person in the world after her mom. Everything in the old woman, from her silky white hair to her delicious cooking, inspires love and trust.

"Come here, darling!" The elderly lady says, stretching her arms out wide. Her floral-print dress blows in the slight breeze, along with a few rebellious hairs that escaped from her loose bun.

Diane kisses her mom on both cheeks, and forces her son to do the same. The three generations then go inside the cottage and settle on the fluffy white couches in the sitting room. Flowers everywhere. Flowered curtains, flowered cushions, even floral arrangements on every surface of the room. The smell of roasting chicken fills the little house, announcing that dinner will be served shortly.

"Now." Kate says. "What's been going on with my favorite grandchildren? How's school?"

"It's wonderful!" Announces Zoe. "My teacher, Miss Grace, is absolutely amazing! She's the best. And all my friends are in my class, and we can all do activities together in class and at recess and its great! Plus, I did 10/10 on my multiplications quiz!" She finishes, gloating.

"Wow! Very good, darling!" Exclaims the grandma. She then turns to Tyler: "What about you? You like your classes? And your little girlfriend, when am I meeting her?" Diane's surprised look at her son amuses her mom as much as it frustrates Tyler.

"She doesn't exist, my "little girlfriend", as you say. But the classes aren't bad. Teachers are OK too." He instantly plunges back into his virtual world.

"Handsome boy like you are, I don't believe it for a second!" Says the elder, laughing. "Well, dinner's ready! Who's hungry?" They all retreat to the kitchen.

When everyone is seated, the old lady resumes talking: "You know, my children, you are very lucky. In the olden days, school wasn't mandatory."

"They're the lucky ones." Grunts Tyler, between two bites of chicken.

"Nonsense! If the parents decided that school wasn't worthwhile, or too expensive, the boys had to work in the fields while mothers taught daughters how to keep house."

Outraged, Zoe cuts her grandmother. "Mommy, I don't want you to teach me how to keep house. I like school too much!"

"Don't worry, honey." Reassures Diane, laughing. "I'm not allowed to!"

Kate continues: "Let me tell you the story of a little girl called Catherine." Seeing the smile that is drawing itself on Diane's face, she sends her a wink before continuing. "Catherine was 14, and she had just finished primary school. Her father refused categorically to send her to secondary school..."

"Grandma, why did you wink at mom?" Interrogates Tyler.

"Oh, no reason. Your mom has simply heard the story before." Says Kate before starting her story.