Prelude - Wolf Night - 08

The wolf raced down the alley, still pursuing the other one, which had morphed, yet again, into human form, and entered through the back door of a building, apparently in an attempt to throw it off its path.

It would not be dissuaded from the chase, though, and managed to keep a bead on the other.

About the only issue going through its canine mind was the concern over being so far away from the open freedom of the grass, trees and rocks it normally stalked in.

The concrete, metal and glass towers it raced through made for a great deal of discomfort. And this area smelled quite a bit different that the normal scents that wafted in to the greenscape it thought of as home. There was a salty smell, a fishy smell to this area.

Pausing to sniff the air, listen for the heartbeat of the wolf-human, it heard a scream coming from an adjacent alleyway in a downwind direction.

It raced forward to find the other wolf tearing the flesh out from the stomach of a human lying in the alley. The human was no longer alive, smelling of fresh fecal matter and urine as well as stale urine and alcohol.

The other turned, its blood-covered snout obviously recognizing the presence of the wolf in the breeze. A cold, calculating glare in its eyes, it bolted.

The wolf paused for a moment to nose the dead human, attempt to breath in more of the scent of the enemy, then it raced down the alley after it.

From behind, a slurred male human voice could be heard. “Nice doggie,” The human uttering those words then stumbled across a row of metal garbage cans, making a god-awful clattering noise as he fell, knocking the cans over.

The wolf then raced down the alley, again in pursuit of the other, the taste and scent of the human’s blood thick in its nostrils along with the scent of the other.

A scent it would never forget.

As it turned the corner at the end of the alley, the other jumped out at it and they both rolled overtop one another until they slammed up against the wall. Without even attempting a kill strike, the other jumped off and again raced down the alley.

The wolf then heard the wail of an approaching siren, the noise a loud piercing sound. It had heard this sound many times before, but this time the sound was close and getting louder. It was accompanied by the sound of screeching tires near the mouth of the alley.

It was coming this way. The wolf understood it was coming for the other. Or for both of them.

As the police-car screeched around the corner and into the alley, the wolf bolted toward the other, half-pursuing, half-running away from the vehicle bearing down on it.