Chapter Ten

Winter break came quickly- and Briar found herself bundled up in a heavy coat and hat and thick blue scarf. Fred and George fixed their equally heavy attire, and off they went.

By the time the trio had reached the Three Broomsticks Inn, their noses and ears were very red.

Briar wiggled her toes and her fingers, attempting to vanish the numbness. She brushed the snow off her jacket, and took off her hat.

The click of heels caused Briar to look up. Madam Rosmerta gave her a kind smile, “Miss. York, your father is over there.” She pointed a manicured finger towards a corner table. Briar thanked her, gesturing for Fred and George to follow her. 

“Dad!”

The man whipped around, standing from his seat and catching Briar in his arms. The man was very tall, towering easily over her. Although in close relation, they appeared nothing alike.- Her father was tall and intimidating, who looked as if he had been in far too many fights. Scars marred his face, although they did not hide the fact he was young. Along with ponytailed hair, hung a large silver hoop from his ear- giving the effect of a cool, yet still rather daunting man.

“Briar, you’ve grown,” He drew back, scrutinising his daughter with a careful eye. He smiled, brushing back a blonde curl. His dark eyes then fell on the twins who were twitching gawkily at the sentimental sight.

His brows furrowed, as Briar stepped back, gesturing a hand to the two.

“Dad, this is Fred and George.”

Rurik gave them a sturdy, intimidating look, “I’ve met your father, it’s remarkable how closely alike the Weasleys’ look.”

Fred gave a wide grin, vigorously shaking his hand. “Blimey, Briar. You didn’t tell us your dad was the Rurik the Ruthless.”

George took Rurik’s other hand and shook it just as eccentrically. “Well, we know now! Briar, you’re famous!”

Briar rolled her eyes, sitting heavily in a chair, “No, my dad is famous- precisely why I never say anything.” She shot them an intimidating look, scarily similar to her father’s, “And you won’t say anything to anyone either, will you?”

They grinned, “It’ll be our little secret,” said George looping an arm around her.

Rurik cleared his throat, glaring at George’s arm, “Yes, anyways, Briar has wrote to me saying you’re a pair of mischief-makers.”

Fred glanced at Briar, “You’ve been telling your father of us? I’m so honored.” Briar huffed, elbowing him and muttering into her hand, “It’s not like I have any other friends to write about.”  

Rurik’s dark eyes were burrowing holes into George’s arm, which was still hooked around his precious daughter. “You’re obviously not much of an influence on Briar; I haven’t received any reports of misbehaviour from her Professors, luckily.”

Briar shot her father a mortified look across the table. Although, admittedly she was guiltily revelling in the pride of never getting caught in her crimes done alongside the Weasley twins.

“Oh, Briar’s been in loads of trouble- OW!” Fred yelped as Briar swatted the back of his head. “Don’t tell him that!” she cried, tossing a sheepish grin at her scowling father. Briar cleared her throat, waving to Madam Rosmerta, “Butterbeer, on dad of course.”

____________________________________________

Somehow she had managed to make it through dinner with little disaster, and luckily, Fred and George spoke little of the trouble Briar had been involved in.