Dark Sunset

(The climax really is rising.)

It felt like a staring contest between them. Rin didn't answer his question immediately. The silence was very strong in the room, Makoto heard his own somewhat ragged breathing. Here and now, he had to know. The tension only made him feel more and more frightful on what would Rin say. Probably he'd shrug it off.

Drip drop...

That pattering of water from the sink could even be heard. Makoto didn't blink and had his gaze focused on him. He maybe could have seen a slight panic flash from the corner of Rin's eyes. Say it!

But instead, Rin didn't lose his cool atmosphere. He took a step forward Makoto, causing him to flinch almost. "And if so what would you do, Makoto?" he asked calmly. Was he toying with him? Makoto narrowed his gaze, already knowing how to react.

Rin right now was making it suspicious for himself. Yet at the same time, a drop of fear landed on Makoto. "I-I'd be shocked," he replied. "My friend killing my own parents? Just by the sound of it... it f-feels unreal."

The beginnings of tears slowly started to make way through the corners of Makoto's eyes. He tried to keep them from spilling. Rin really was right. He had to stop this pointless crying.

"Well Makoto, what proof will you have?" Rin questioned. "You know, even the police haven't figured out who did it." Makoto bit his lip nervously. Damn it, he was right. He wasn't a detective himself. How should he solve this case?

This only just added more stress onto him. That familiar pain wasn't very welcoming. Makoto knew Rin was looking at him. No sympathy was shown from those cold, crimson colored eyes of his. Rin.. "I-I wasn't blaming you for the murder," Makoto told him.

Of course I wasn't!

He heaved a low sigh. "Rin, just make sure to find out who did it. Please, it's all I ask from you!" Makoto fell to his knees and got on all fours. He bent down his head onto the floor. He may have looked desperate, but he really was right now. Rin blinked. That emotionless side giving way to something different. It was almost as if he reacted with some sort of feeling to this favor.

Rin so then is human. Makoto soothed his shoulders flat. "Yeah," Rin murmured. "Sosuke might give you the call." Makoto looked up, fresh tears making their way out. Rin gave him an annoyed look. "And get up," he said. His tone was firm. "You look like shit Makoto. Stop looking like that. I mean it." Makoto frowned. He was right.

Quickly getting to his feet, he made sure to stand his ground away from Rin. The atmosphere was sill cold around him. Warmth was only what he needed now. Rin turned from him and began to head off.

"Make sure to shut the door," he said over his shoulder. Those were his words of farewell it seemed. Makoto watched him leave. He got his bag again and quickly headed out the door without looking behind.

Shutting the door, Makoto saw F/N's mother still there in the car. He headed towards her at a swift pace. He didn't want to make F/N wait any longer. Hopefully Haru didn't make things difficult for her..

-(Reader's POV)

"You're doing it wrong." Frustration poured through deeply inside of you. Trying your best to keep it from spilling really was hard.

Haru was showing the basics of the menu and how combinations worked. You weren't understanding it since Haru was teaching it in his way. But there no point in arguing with him. It was his restaurant and you worked here. Might as listen to what the difficult swimmer was saying.

You heaved a sigh as Haru began once more.  "There's either white rice or brown rice," Haru continued. "These can only go with the items on this side of the menu. And fish is something else. People can get add it along with their combo or order it as a separate meal but only or lunch and dinner. That doesn't go the same for white and brown rice. Drinks can be-"

You were already feeling a bit light headed with the things Haru has been telling you. The menu was complex and with Haru explaining it to you was doubling the hardness. Probably taking a math exam before this wasn't such a good idea.

Your brain was already tired. Only managing to get a few of the things down from this water obsessed guy felt like enough. How are you finally stopped talking and eyed you expectingly.

"I guess that's good for now," he murmured. "Understand?" You really didn't want to hear the whole lecture all over again. Nodding your head was the only way of escaping from that. Haru didn't give any signs of approval. That emotionless gaze was always fix in his face.

What else is new?   you thought, rather annoyed.

"So you're finished right?" you asked. Haru nodded. "Tomorrow I might actually open up the place," he said. There was a small shine to his eyes when he said that. So he does have feelings for something. You decided it would be best to work on remembering the menu. Hurting his feelings wasn't what you were aiming for.

No business meant no income and you wanted to earn money of course. Probably Makoto could help you. He proved himself to be someone smart. Those math exams wouldn't be finished with ease without his tutoring. That stress clouding over you now was replaced with a good feeling.

You saw Haru handing you one of the menus. "You'll be here tomorrow?" he said in a questioned tone. Nodding you took the menu. "Yeah, same time," you replied. Haru blinked. He looked at the wide windows that covered the front of the restaurant. "It's getting dark," he noted. "You should get going."

You saw that the sun was setting. Gathering your things in the kitchen, you checked to see what time. Your phone read 6:30. Better get going. Haru began to take out large dishes, pots and pans. He rolled back his white, buttoned sleeves. Turning on the oven, he began to chop vegetables on the cutting board.

"Shouldn't you be going home yourself?" you asked. Haru didn't look at you. "No, I need to prepare some dishes for tomorrow," he replied. He was already getting to work. The ingredients were now being pulled out. "Well then bye," you murmured.

Haru turned around from his cutting of vegetables. He blinked in acknowledgment towards you. "Don't be late." He turned back around and resumed his chopping. It was a skillful sight to see. The tomatoes came out with finely chopped slices.

You headed out the door from the kitchen and out of the restaurant. Hopefully tomorrow won't be as stressful as today was. You didn't live far from Haru's restaurant so walking wasn't that distanced. Speeding up the pace, you just wanted to get home.

Maybe Makoto was already there before you. The thought made you feel good. Turning to the street you lived on, you could almost make out your house. As you walked toward the direction, it now felt strangely quiet.

There were no cars driving by as there normally would. Ignoring the the thought, you focused on getting home.
A shower felt needed right now.

"Miss?"

A sudden voice came out, surprising you. It sounded low as if it belonged to a man. You turned to the sound and saw the person a good five feet away from you.

You did recognize him. He was the one with Makoto in college this morning! Those were some shark like teeth he had. Bracing yourself, you stammered out a 'yeah?' Rin smirked.

"No need to be tense. F/n is your name I'd take it? I only want to ask you a few questions, that's all."