Depression Swept Away

Arriving back, Makoto saw Ran and Ren running up to him. They did this every time to greet their older brother. Especially during high school, once swim practice was over, they had on the same excitement. "Ni-chan, can you play with us?" they both asked in unison.

Makoto smiled down on them. It was hard to refuse them. He wanted the best for them and he knew it's his responsibility now to make that happen. Mrs. L/N thankfully was here to provide assistance. Firstly, Makoto gave his word to his siblings. He played with them for a bit. Pretending that they were in the jungle, they brought back the pillows to use as trees.

A time of bonding more with his younger brother and sister became a moment of when his spirits were lifted. Makoto truly did enjoy it. After some time, he left them in the room they shared. Now, he went to Mrs. L/N to consult for his issues. "Hello Mrs. L/N," Makoto greeted.

She turned around from the coffee machine. The cup had coffee filled to the brim. "Oh hello Makoto," she returned. "Would you like some coffee? I can't finish this all." Makoto responded with an 'alright' and gave her a small bow. She took out another cup and filled it with coffee. Taking it, Makoto saw the light brown and white swirls. "Thank you," he said. "Uh, may I discuss somethings to you? I feel lost." "Of course, let's sit at the table," she offered. "What's troubling you right now?"

Makoto pulled out a chair from the table, sitting opposite from her. He folded his hands, moving his thumbs awkwardly together. Making eye contact with her, Makoto sighed steadily. "I need to get my life back together," he told her. "I've been doing nothing for long enough. Mrs. L/N, I ask for your guidance.. any advice really. Where do I start?"

Makoto's shoulders were tensed up when he spoke. She sipped at the coffee, but had her attention fixed. "Well Makoto, I'm glad you're a determined person," she said. "And I'm also glad you chose my daughter you know." Makoto ducked his head down in embarrassment. Laughter rose from her. With one quick  sip of the coffee, he murmured, "Y-yeah." Mrs. L/N smiled at him.

"Alright, let's focus on your case now." She explained the finances and worked on getting Makoto's house back. Yes it still belonged to him. He was grateful it no longer had anymore mortgage loans. She had told him if it still had, then paying them would certainly have been much harder on Makoto. Working jobs to bring the money home is stressful enough when you already have your college courses to catch up on.

Yet Mrs. L/N told him she would have helped him with some financial aid. Calling the court will take some time to have their meeting scheduled. Makoto wanted to be the official guardian of Ran and Ren. Yet it certainly isn't quite so easy. He had to finish college first and focus on his studies rather than looking out after children.

"I'll take them under my wing," Mrs. L/N suggested. But Makoto didn't want to be a burden. Maybe if I ask..? He became lost in thought on who he can trust. His best friend Haru perhaps. Yet he had a restaurant to run. Did he ever complain about the stress it provided? No. That was his dream career of owning a restaurant after the Olympics.

Makoto mentally made a note to himself to ask him. Throughout, this help of advice Mrs. L/N told him, he hadn't touched the coffee. Looking down at the brown liquid, his hand felt the cup. Cold. Gazing still at it, he couldn't see through the dark liquid. Almost like his future that wasn't fully grasped. Makoto only sipped at the dull coffee, tasting the darkness.

The day went on casually, yet inside those feelings never ceased to bring pain. But it felt almost lighten up. Time to pick her up. During the day, Makoto had busied himself with exercises in the backyard. He didn't want to lose his shape.

Core workouts and onto push-ups were what he focused on. After that, he washed up a bit. No longer sweaty, he informed Mrs. L/N that he'll be picking up F/N. "Are you sure?" she checked. "I could drive." Makoto shook his head, and insisted on bringing her home himself. I'll always protect her. Out the house he left and headed towards the direction down the sidewalk.