22: Darkest Night

The city was a collage of blues and purples as the sun went through its setting process. The birds in the sky gently flew past with such ease that it seemed as if they never wanted to leave the sky. Buildings lined up next to each other, though crowded, gave such an inspiring feel. All these people at work, all these buildings made just for Gotham to pick its head out of the ground, made me feel almost atrocious, for I was always extracting money from them.

“I’m ready,” Jack spoke from behind me as I watched the sky in its cycle of colors. I turned and saw him in that classic purple suit, and laughed lightly. 

“Never fails to delight me,” I mused, walking over, pushing a strand of green out of his face. “My Joker.”

He grinned. “Well, sweetie, you know I’ll always be this sexy.”

I laughed lightly. He was always so charmingly funny. “Let’s go, I’m ready, too.”

His hand took mine and we walked out of the home, barely paying attention to the steps as we headed to the van, the sky still in its continuous swirl, it had not yet shuddered into blackest night. 

“We shouldn’t go until the sky turns black,” Jack spoke firmly, nodding to me. “We’ll wait in the car until then, doll.”

I climbed into the passenger seat, nursing my arm as I sat in place. I didn’t let Joker see the pain, though. I was not going to make him worry.

I turned on the radio, and Truly Madly Deeply by Savage Garden started to play on the radio. “Ah, babe, this is our song!” I was ecstatic, I hadn’t heard our song in forever. He laughed and held my hand.

“I remember when we first established this as our song,” he spoke, pausing. “We had just come back from breaking all the Arkham patients out, I was so hot because you were just so sexy that fine evening, I kicked open the front doors and took you inside bridal style, that song just happened to be on the radio. . . .”

I blushed a deep red. “Ooh, shivers,” I rubbed up and down my arm, he smirked and kissed my forehead.

“You always give me those,” he spoke gently, then his tone comically lowered. “Because you hog the fucking blankets.”

The turn at words made me laugh so hard that I had to grip onto the seat so my stomach didn’t cramp up too noticeably, we howled with laughter until he looked up and commented on the sky.

We drove through Gotham City, holding hands and talking about Kellen, about how much bigger he was getting.

“When you picked him up and started walking away, what were you doing?”

He sighed. “I was giving him to Gwen so I could talk to you one on one.”

“Alright,” I nodded. 

We got to the Science Facility. “We’re going to go in, and steal all their equipment,” Joker spoke, handing me two black bags. 

“Alright, how’s security?” I started to fix the bags so they didn’t make noise as I walked.

“They took a break. Henchmen will distract them if they come back.”

“Alright,” I nodded, and stepped out of the car. Him and I found a staircase and went in through the roof. When we were on the ground, we started to sift through the equipment, but I couldn’t find anything useful. “What are we looking for?”

He explained to me in his simplest terms what things I was looking for. I wasn’t into Science, so I wasn’t sure what the things he stated were.

“Well, alright, I’ll try to–“

“Hey, hold it right there!” the angry voice called out to us, I looked at Joker in shock and he cursed loudly.

“Fuck, this wasn’t supposed to happen,” he spoke as he started to run, I followed. “They have a lot of dangerous equipment they can use on us, so we have to run from them!”

“I’m trying, babe,” I spoke, terrified, running alongside him, my hand clutching his. “Fuck, they’re everywhere!”

Security lined the premises heavily, everywhere I turned, they stood.

It felt like we had no means for escape, and I figured out, sorrowfully that I did not have any means of escape.

It was Jack who was going to be able to leave, but not I.

 I fell to the floor, a sharp pain enveloping me. I looked up at Jack as my world darkened, my breathing sharpened, and everything faded to darkest night.