Chapter twosies

THREE YEARS LATER 

Ah, the fresh smell of jalapeño in the morning. Wait- what the fuck? I saw my younger brother Milo dancing around the room with my Mami's lucky jalapeño sock with an incense stick inside of it, cleansing the room. I groaned and threw a pillow at him, rubbing my eyes.  

"Mom told me so!" He signed, laughing and throwing the pillow back. "Happy first day of senior year!" 

"Happy first day of eighth grade," I said aloud. I changed into a pair of khaki shorts and a blue muscle shirt, trying to look classy. Aye, it was my first day! I wanted to look fresh. The shirt was sleeveless, showing off my naturally pale skin and my biceps. Yeah, I got me some of those! I flexed my arms, momentarily forgetting Milo's presence. I blushed and brushed my hair so that my bangs fell in front of one eye. My bangs were straight, as well as the rest of my thin hair. I shooed Milo from my room, double checking that he wasn't in the hallway before making my eyebrows darker with an eyebrow pencil. Then I added some brown mascara to my lashes, lengthening them so my chocolate eyes popped. I sprayed on some Axe and added a sharks tooth necklace.  

"Hey sexy, you look HELLA GOOD!" I yelled at myself. What? Its not like anyone could hear me. When I was runway ready I grabbed my backpack, skipping downstairs and grabbing a power bar and a Coke from the kitchen, tapping Milo on the shoulder and waving to Mami and Sasi and my dad before heading out. I drove Milo to school, humming again. I'd never gotten over the way my throat vibrated. I liked how it felt. When Milo hopped out of the car I added a layer of chocolate Chapstick to make my lips slightly less dull before hopping out of the car.  

As I walked down the hallway, I received several high fives and waves, but I was concentrated on my thoughts. The one thing running through my mind was the O'Sullivan kid. I'd never gotten to learn his name, yet he was my knight in shining armor. We went to a pretty small school, and each grade was split into three houses. If you were in the same house as someone else, you usually had most if not all classes together. The O'Sullivan guy had translated for me since freshman year, though I'd never actually spoken to him. He always tore out of class before I had the chance. I'd never even learned his first name. When I heard people talking shit about him I ALWAYS set them straight, secretly praying one day he'd find out about it and thank me, giving us a chance to talk. But we never did. As a matter of fact, I never saw him talking to anyone. He ate his lunch in the hallways, which usually consisted of a Coke and a power bar (hence how my breakfast tradition had started), and he usually just read a book. Damn, I was such a great stalker! I snapped my fingers in my head. Mmmmmmmhmmmm girlfrand!  

This year, things were going to change. I was finally going to talk to him and he'd become my best friend. Well, that was the plan, anyway. Worst case scenario, he'd just ignore me. I finally had enough courage and I was hella ready to confront him and thank him for helping me. If he hadn't helped me I probably would've failed my classes. Speaking of which, I also felt really bad, because several times, he got in trouble for his signing and got detentions. God, I was such a bad person, but I never actually meant for him to get in trouble. I was just too embarrassed to ask for a translator.  

I walked into my first period, ready to attempt conversation, but Milo popped up out of the fucking ground. 

"Jesus, Milo, what do you need!?" I cried, placing my hand over my rapidly beating heart. 

"Mom told me you'd probably need these," Milo said, handing me a pack of gum, a fresh notebook, and a water bottle. I thanked him and sent him off, stashing the items in my bag. I sat down beside the O'Sullivan kid, ready to talk. I tapped his shoulder and he turned towards me, raising an eyebrow. Oh, wow. He'd gotten a little color over the summer, but he was still pale as Hell. He had one hell of a shiner on his right eye and his lip had a horizontal cut on the top that extended past his lip a couple of inches.