Chapter 6 ● Santa Monica

•Robert•

I was abruptly awoken to someone slapping a piece of paper in my face.

"Rob! It's ten A.M! What the heck are you doing!"

I opened my eyes to see Kristen looming over me. She pulled back when she saw I was awake.

"Wake up! We're going to the Santa Monica Pier!"

I sat up and she put the piece of paper into my lap. It was an admission ticket for the amusement park.

"Where did you get this?"

"Theo went and grabbed them when you and Kayla were out on your date." She stood up and stood in the doorway. "If I didn't know any better, I'd think he's jealous of the fun you guys were having." She cocked an eyebrow and I shook my head.

"We leave at two," She said and turned to close the door.

I stared at the admission ticket in my hands. On second thought, this might not be a bad idea.

---

I climbed into the back seat of Theo's car followed by Kristen and Kayla. We drove a little ways to Santa Monica through minimal traffic. When we arrived at the pier, Theo parked along the coast. We took out our our small disguises of sunglasses and hats and proceeded out of the car. The sun blared down on us from above, heating me instantly.

I was enjoying my view of the beach until someone suddenly sprayed a bitter foreign substance into my mouth and onto my tongue. I sputtered and wiped my mouth.

"Ooh sorry! Your face is just too high for me to reach without jumping."

Kayla was spraying sunscreen on everyone before we headed out to the pier. I shrugged it off and headed for the pier.

We strode off for the entrance and gave the employee our tickets. He scanned them and let us pass through the metal gates. Theo immediately took the lead through the mass of people. The first building we came to contained the Carousel. Theo spun around on his heels, "Why the hell not?"

Kristen shrugged and followed Theo into the building. I followed Kayla who briskly walked faster to keep up.

The ride had just come to an end and the passengers were making their way off the ride. An avalanche of small children swerved past us, pushing Kayla out of their way to the exit. She stumbled backwards and I caught her, chuckling at the party of rambunctious children. I opened my mouth to ask if she was okay, but when I looked down, she was smiling.

I helped her stabilize and led her to where Theo and Kristen were waiting at the opening of the ride. The metal gate swung open behind us and allowed us to enter onto the carousel.

You could choose from multicolored horses ranging from black to brown to white. The top of the carousel was striped with lights around the border which made it look like a circus.

Theo raced to a solid black horse and Kristen to a tan one. Kayla chose a spotted brown and white horse on the edge. I heaved myself up onto a white one to the side of her.

An employee spoke on the loudspeaker saying to keep seated and the ride would be starting.

The carousel creaked to a start at a slow pace, fast enough to ruffle your hair a bit. Since this was a leisurely ride it wasn't going to go any faster.