Chapter 4 ● Question

•Robert•

I'd never given much thought about what the five months would be like before coming here.

It's been a week. No one said that I would be struggling to keep my hormones in line 24/7.

I've been noticing little things about Kayla that made me more interested by the minute. Most of these things were difficult to find out, she mostly spends time in her room. Reading a book or something. She was reserved, but not exactly the introvert type.

Whenever she did show, she usually had earbuds in, and would softly hum the song she was listening to. She would speed all around the mansion, cleaning and exploring. I was surprised at how nonchalant she was taking this whole "bonding process" thing. We're actors, acting out family bonds like this is part of our job.

The most recent thing I found out about Kayla was that she was an amazing baker. For the past week, Kristen made dinner and Kayla occasionally made dessert.

I was munching on a cookie that Kayla had made last night. It was white chocolate chip, my favorite.

Kayla emerged from the kitchen carrying a plate of cookies for Theo and I. Kristen was out running errands.

"I'll be upstairs if you need me, Theo, Rob." I had forgotten that she casually called me by the nickname 'Rob' now. She turned and hopped up the stairs, out of sight.

My eyes lingered to where she disappeared, something Theo didn't miss.

"Just ask her out," Theo said while taking a cookie.

I snapped my head back and glared at him.

"I don't -".

"I know you like her, Rob." Theo looked up and cocked an eyebrow.

I just hung my head in embarassment, feeling heat rise to my cheeks.

"I just want to talk to her," I mumbled.

"Ask her out," Theo repeated.

I looked up, "I haven't had a girlfriend since high school, Theo. What makes you think that a date with her is going to work out?"

"Just ask her, dude. Kayla seems like a sweet girl. There's a street mall down town. Take her there."

I stared at the wall, pondering my options. I had nothing to loose if she said no. I sighed, "You really think it would go well?"

"It's the only way you're going to get to know her." Theo leaned back in his chair, "You can go ask her now, she's upstairs."

I ran a hand through my hair and turned towards the stairs. "I'll be back," I mumbled. I stood up and started up the stairs. I quietly walked down the hallway towards her room. The door stood ajar, and I could hear her softly humming from inside. Her voice was silvery, so sweet. I stood outside her door, listening to her voice. In mere seconds I gained the confidence to gently knock on the door and push it open. She was lying on her stomach on her bed, with her earbuds in. She looked up at me and took her earbuds out.

"Hey Rob, what's up?" She sat up on her knees and smiled.

I walked into the room and sat on the edge of her bed, "Hey."

She eyed me worriedly, "Is something wrong?"

I looked up, surprized, "No no!" And with that her expression softened.

"I was just wondering if you maybe wanted to go into town with me tomorrow. We could get to know each other better," I smiled and waited her reply.

She looked down and brushed her hair behind her ear, "That sounds great, I would like that." She looked up and gave me a cute smile.

I sighed in relief, "Okay, I know there's a cinema. We could go see a movie if you want?"

"That sounds great!" She beamed at me.

So cute...

"We could leave tomorrow at 3 PM, does that work?"

She nodded, "Perfect."

I smiled, "Good. I'm excited to get to know you better." I stood up and turned towards the door.

"See you later, Rob," She giggled.

I waved once before closing the door to how it was earlier and headed back down stairs. Theo was still at the table, now on his phone. I went to the couch and turned on the TV. He looked up at me expectantly, but when he saw my smiley expression, he immediately knew that I had succeeded. He chuckled and shook his head.

"I told you," He called after me.

---