Chapter 3

Lightningstorm padded with Lilacleaf into Shadowclan camp.

"I can't believe this!" Goosepaw hissed. He was covered in mouse bile.

"Were you in my den!" Lilacleaf yowled.

"He wasn't, but Snowpaw was," coughed Starlingkit. "She brought it out and pushed Goosepaw into it."

Lightningstorm smiled. Good honest Starlingkit.

"So, is there any dreams I should know about, Lilacleaf?" Airstar asked. Her russet tabby pelt had the scent of grass and weeds. She was probably in the meadow where Bluesoul, Windwhisper, Flamepaw, and the most recent death, Noblestar, were buried. Lightningstorm had to bury the memories of the cats who died after a few heartbeats.

"I did have a dream. Pinewillow told me we should try hunting by the fallen tree near the old fox den. She says it alone can feed the clan for the rest of Leaf-bare," said Lilacleaf.

"Good, that's great news," smiled Airstar.

"Airstar do you want to go for a walk?" Lightningstorm asked.

"Why not?"

Lightningstorm and Airstar walked to the Riverclan border. They talked about patrols, the kits becoming apprentices in a half moon, and Whitecough.

"When I was a kit I had Whitecough once," Airstar said. "I stayed in the medicine cats den for a long time. Later I learned it had only been four days!"

Lightningstorm laughed.

"Do you remember when Snowpaw ate that catmint and was half asleep for a day?" laughed Lightningstorm.

Airstar nodded with a smile.

"When Noblestar was an apprentice he tried to impress Pantherpaw. He said he could eat anything and be fine. So, Pantherpaw brought him a deathberry to see his startled face!" Airstar laughed.

"Pantherpaw?"

"She was Noblestar's mate and leader before him. She made him her deputy on good intensions, but Rainbowlight says he died with her and lived nine lives as a hollow shell. He became wise, but emotionless. When I became leader she told me that making your mate your deputy is giving them the curse of living nine lives without you," Airstar whispered.

Lightningstorm thought of Browntail. She was deputy now. If she becomes leader it won't be one life without him but nine.

Then she remembered all Lilacleaf had been through. I could handle it, she told herself.

"So, Rainbowlight was Pantherstar's sister?"

"Yes."

"Must have been hard on her. I know what's it like to lose your littermates," Lightningstorm mewed.

"The same won't happen with your kits," Airstar promised.

"I know. Dappleleaf offered to take Starlingkit and me. Riverclan has plenty of catmint. It won't be for long."

Snow fell as they reached the border. The river was frozen and icicles hung on the bridge.

"Can I go? If I do may i come back?" Lightningstorm asked.

"You can always come back home," Airstar smiled.

"I thought you might have forgotten something," Lilacleaf said as she approached the bridge. She was carrying Starlingkit on her back.

"Yay! An adventure!" Starlingkit yowled.

Lightningstorm laughed.

"Good luck, Lightningstorm."

Lightningstorm took Starlingkit and crossed the border.

They walked for awhile then they ran into a patrol.

"A queen and a kit. Dappleleaf told us to look for you. I am Brightsea," said a black furred she-cat cautiously. "This is my apprentice Dangerouspaw."

Dangerouspaw was a small black she-cat. "Come," she hissed.

They led Lightningstorm to their camp.