Chapter 4

"Lightningstorm! So good to see you made it!" cheered a dark brown tabby she-cat.

"Stranger danger!" yowled a dark brown kit and a dark gray kit.

"Serpentsky! How is having kits?" Lightningstorm smiled.

"You tell me, Deputy 5 kits," Serpentsky laughed.

Lightningstorm laughed, too.

"Who are you?" asked a light gray tom.

"Oh, hi. I'm Starlingkit and that's my mama, Lightningstorm," smiled Starlingkit.

"Shellkit," the light gray tom smiled back.

"I'm Antkit!" yowled the dark brown tom.

"Sootkit! Nice to meet you," bowed a dark gray tom.

Starlingkit giggled, then coughed.

"Alright, Sweety. Let's get you to Dappleleaf," Serpentsky mewed softly as she led Starlingkit towards a den.

Lightningstorm sighed. She slowly walked into the leader's den. "Creekstar? Is this your den?"

"Get out! This is the elders den!" hissed a black tom.

"I am so sorry. Won't happen again," Lightningstorm apologized.

"Well, you woke me up. Anyway, who are you?" yawned the black tom.

"I'm Lightningstorm, deputy of Shadowclan. I'm staying here while my kit is treated for greencough," she explained.

"Names Scooter. Stumbled upon this place as a kit. Never left sense, more or less," said the black tom friendly.

"Where did you live before?"

"With housefolk, sorry twolegs. Not that bad once you get past the smell," Scooter scrunched up his nose acting like mouse bile was on it.

"Do you have any kin in the clan?" Lightningstorm asked.

"Matter of fact, I do. Creekstar, my lovely daughter, Dappleleaf, my other lovely daughter, and, in Thunderclan, Beaverpelt," Scooter said proudly.

"No way! Beaverpelt is my mother's father!"

"I thought you said you were Shadowclan?" Scooter said confusedly.

"Long story."

"You don't want to talk 'bout it fine by me. How's his leg?"

"What?" Lightningstorm asked.

"The reason he retired so young? His injured leg?"

"Must have healed up, because I never noticed it."

"No, he wouldn't want his clan to think him weak. Sounds like something he would do keeping it from cats. Serpentheart loved him so much she retired with him. May Starclan bless her soul," Scooter said.

"So, whose his mother?" Lightningstorm asked.

"Islandwhisper, she stays in the nursery helping out Queens."

"Well, I better go introduce myself."

"Weren't you looking for Creekstar?" Scooter asked.

"Yes, that's right," Lightningstorm mumbled.

"You young cats. Always forgetting things," Scooter laughed.

"I will bring you some prey later," Lightningstorm smiled.

"Carp, please." Scooter replied.

"Ok," Lightningstorm nodded. As soon as see was out of earshot she said, "What in Starclan's name is carp?"

"It's a fish," smiled a gray she-cat.

"Creekstar. I was just looking for you."

"Really? Well, I should guess you have a lot of questions. Ask away," Creekstar smiled.

"Where will I be staying?" Lightningstorm asked.

"The nursery," Creekstar replied.

"What will I be expected to do?"

"Hunt land prey. It's hard to get fish in leaf-bare."

"And finally, well, actually that's all I got," the sandy she-cat confessed.

"You know what? I think you might be good friends with Goldenears. You should go on a patrol. She is good at hunting land prey. You know what? Go on a patrol with her and Slumbernoise. That's what I need you to do," Creekstar ordered.

Two cats that must've been eavesdropping approached. One was a small white she-cat with sandy colored ears and brown eyes. Lightningstorm guessed her to be Goldenears. The second was a silver tabby she-cat.

"I'm Slumbernoise and that's Goldenears," the silver tabby grunted.

"Hi! So glad I get to meet you! Do you like fish? You should try salmon! It's juicy! Hey, do you know how to..." Goldenears was cut off by Slumbernoise hissing.

Delightful cat that Slumbernoise is, Lightningstorm thought sarcastically.

"Let's go!" Slumbernoise said harshly.