【XXVI】Not Again

XXVI.

It started out as something anyone could have confused as a hangover, food poisoning, or any other puke indulging sickness. But then within minutes it morphed into something even the smartest and most experienced medical facilitators couldn't diagnose. I mean, how could you really label someone as transforming into a werewolf if less then a penny of the earth knew of the specie?

"Sienna... Sienna please." Elijah pleaded, arms quivering as he coughed up more and more blood and bile, leaving a strong scent throughout the musky air.

"You know I can't leave you alone." I snapped back irritatedly as I momentarily stopped rubbing his back before hesitantly starting up again. I know now is not the time to PMS, but some things can't be helped.

I'd be lying if I say I'm not struggling in the slightest to drag my palms in a downwards motion from his upper to lower back in the most comforting way I possibly can, considering the fact that it is happening on his bare muscled back because apparenly you're supposed to remove all your upper- and lower, which he thankfully did not do, garments before transforming.

It's a simple hulk strategy. You don't want ripped clothes, do you?

I've got to remember that Eli doesn't need to hear me get all snappy on top of what he's going through. But he's been trying his hardest to get me to leave since I arrived and it's driving me nuts.

Believe me, I have been trying to muster the courage to stand up and go just like Elijah wants. No one likes the feelings of being unwanted company. Yet I know I can't, because I'm so selfish in the way that I won't be able to forgive myself from turning my back on him while he's going through this even though that is his wish.

I'm simply too compassionate; it's poison.

Why is life so hard? Why can't we all just be human and lead normal lives? If there was a wall here right about now I'd probably have the chance to bang my head into it repetitively, like what the protagonist always does when she or he is flustered. But then again it's normally on a locker where they can also bang their enraged fists.

Oh typical high school drama, how I somewhat miss that.

Another eardrum shaking groan escaped Eli's lips and pulled me away from my useless eternal rant. My eyes couldn't help but widen as his back arched and jolted in a vast upwards motion, his nails digging into the soil as a uncontrollable reaction to the excruciating pain lingering on his now morphing visage.

I slowly crawled back, the aroma of the blood and the bone cracking sounds making my head spin. I know I can't be of help and comfort him because I'm chickening out.

For fucks sake I'm such a wimp.

"You- you have to go." Eli panted between horse breaths, "NOW!" His voice didn't even seem like it's usual deep self. It was changing into a roar of anguish in an unintelligible sequence.

I'm trying to tear my eyes from the sight, to look away and run as far as my legs will take me. But for some off reason I find myself unable to move, like I'm paralyzed and stuck in this position for all eternity. Forced to watch as I helplessly sit idly by the gruesome scene and watched it unfold before me. Like an idiot.

I've known ever since we had that little accident at the warehouse that I had the silliest crush on Eli. And I find it so unbearably stupid that I'm only fully acknowledging it now at the worst possible moment ever; when he's transforming into a savage animal god knows will do what when completely complete.

A low growl made my mind focus back onto the creature before me. A full wolf in the flesh. It's bright silky hair patterned by the tree's shadows and its glimmering gold eyes gave away the human this wolf once was. I can't believe I practically missed the whole thing because I was too stick in my own head.