Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Yanni

It had been exactly a week since the worst day of my life. The day I was stripped of all my power and the most sacred piece of my womanhood. I had just started coming to terms with the fact that Damien and I were over, but he had randomly started reaching out to me out of nowhere. His messages were sporadic and he said he really needed to talk to me in person. That was ironic because in the moment when he could have saved me, he walked out and left me there to be mutilated by that monster. In the beginning, I was hurt, but now I was mad. What kind of person says they love you and doesn't even give you the chance to explain a situation to them? I know what it must have looked like, but there was genuine fear in my eyes and for him to not have been able to pick up on that after 5 months was infuriating.

I felt so alone over the past week, and there was only one person who had bothered to check up on me and make sure I was doing okay. Jeremiah was in my communications class and was a really sweet guy. He was intelligent, funny, a member of a well known black fraternity called the Betas, not to mention he was the spitting image of Michael B. Jordan . They had gotten to know each other by sitting in the front row together in class, and naturally struck up a conversation that soon turned into a friendship. Conversation flowed easily, and he genuinely cared about her thoughts and feelings.

"How are you feeling today?" Jeremiah questioned me from the foot of my bed.

"Better than yesterday" I replied feigning confidence.

Jeremiah knew about what had happened a week ago. I skipped all my classes last week and he had stopped by to drop off a missed assignment. I guess my door was cracked and he peeked inside when I didn't answer. I was asleep, but woke up to him brushing a lose curl out of my face and humming "Sweet Lady" by Tyrese. I surprisingly wasn't scared when I saw him because he was so gentle and his voice sounded so sweet. He noticed that my eyes were puffy and red, and that I had some bruises on my body, as well as a small cut on the side of my lip from where Jerrel had slapped me. It was as if he knew before me saying a word, but he listened and held me as I told him every horrible detail.

"Glad to hear it. Have you decided if you want to press charges or anything yet?" He asked.

"Yeah I've thought about it, but haven't decided what I want to do yet. I'm praying on it and asking God for guidance" I said.

"Smart girl, I know you'll make the right decision for you" he replied, showing almost every one if his perfect white teeth. "I'm gonna go bring my car around, get dressed and come downstairs. I wanna take you out for some ice cream".

"I don't really feel up for ice cream Jeremiah..." I lied. I just didn't want to go I and risk seeing Jerrel.

"I'll get you 3 scoops AND sprinkles AND one jumbo deluxe Jeremiah hug complete with a light squeeze and reassuring smile" he smiled.

"How could I resist such a tempting offer?" I laughed and hopped out of bed. "Give me 10 and I'll meet you downstairs".

30 minutes later, we were sitting outside of Rita's ice cream shop. It was a beautiful day; the sun was shining and there was a nice breeze blowing by. I was wearing a long, flowy white sundress and was wearing a brown hat. The wind picked up a bit and blew the hat right off of my head. I sprang up to catch it and stopped right in my tracks. Standing in front of me with my hat in one hand and a vanilla cone in the other was none other than Damien Carter.

Damien

I couldn't believe my luck. I had been trying to get in contact with Yanni for days with zero success. She resigned from her position as a tutor, and when I tried to drop by her apartment, she was never there. I sent her flowers, which were never able to be delivered and had tried to catch her at all of her classes. After all that effort, I was finally able to see her face to face, and at an ice cream shop of all places.

"..Ayanna..hey" I stuttered. This was not how I imagined my big apology gesture. I wasn't prepared to face her like is. There she was standing in front of me beautiful as ever, curls tussled by the wind, cheeks flushed, with all then sadness in the world in her hazel eyes.  "I, uh, I've been calling you, how are you?" I asked.

"I'm fine" she said dryly, and her eyes darted to her hat. "Thanks for getting my hat before it got away", she reached out, grabbed it, and turned away quickly. She walked back over to the bench she was sharing with that guy I recognized from our communications class. He said something to her that made her laugh and for a moment, I thought she was an angel. She looked so happy and it hurt me so badly that I wasn't the one who made her that way. I needed her to know how sorry I was. For letting my pride stop me from giving her a chance to tell me what was going on, for leaving her alone with that asshole, and for ruining our love. I felt like my guilt was suffocating me so I walked away, got in my car and sped off.

Yanni

"Is everything good? What's up with him?" Jeremiah asked after he told me a corny joke he had seen on Twitter. He knew that Damien and I had broken up, but I didn't tell him the real reason. Jeremiah knew about the rape, but not about Damien and I's relationship because it hurt too much to say it out loud.

"Yeah everything's cool" I licked my ice cream cone and gave him a smile for reassurance.

"Ayanna, I need to make a confession" he said seriously. I mentally panicked but just nodded my head and waited for him to elaborate. "I think I'm falling for you. I know what you've been through and all I want is to continue to support you and protect you. I would never hurt you or allow anyone to hurt you if you'd let me. I'm not asking for an answer right now, but My heart felt heavy and I just wanted to get that off my chest."

I sat quiet for a moment as I thought about what he had just told me. Jeremiah was a good man. He had been there for me at my lowest and was the best support system I could have asked for. I definitely cared for him, but I knew my heart wasn't ready to let someone get that close again.

"Wow Jeremiah, I don't know what to say" I whispered.

"You don't have to say anything. Take your time to think about it and let me know how you feel when you're ready. No pressure" he said.

When I got home, I felt really happy that I had gone out with Jeremiah because he made it his priority to see me smile. I spent the rest of my afternoon and evening watching Disney movies and making pasta for dinner. I heard a knock at my door and instantly tensed up.

"Who is it?" I called out.

"It's me, Damien" that all too familiar voice replied. I was silent. I had nothing to say.
"I know you're there Yanni" he continued, "I know I'm probably the last person you want to see or talk to right now, but I had to be in your presence. If you don't want to open the door, I completely understand. Please just listen. I know what really happened with Jerrel. I overheard him talking about what he did to you and damn near killed him with my hands. I fucked up. I overreacted, abandoned you, and wouldn't even call you back when you tried to explain. I know I don't deserve you. But Yanni, I want you to know that you're the best thing that's ever happened to me and I would be an idiot to let you go without a fight. I'm never going to stop trying to earn back your presence in my life. I love you so much more than I can even understand myse-" before he could finish, he was cut off by a loud thud and a gunshot.