Chapter One

"Here's what's left." The police man says as he hands me a small cardboard box. It holds everything that made it through the fire. He gives me a sympathetic look, then turns around and walks away.

I start to look through it. I find old worn out books, receipts, and at the bottom of the drawer, a photograph.

I expect it to be of my mom and me, but am surprisingly mistaken. Written on the back is the date, 01/01/98, January 1st, 1998. Along with it are the names Annabel Johnson and Tony Stark. I turn the fragile photo over, and see a very young version of my mother. Her messy brown hair goes down to her chest, and her eyes glow in the flash of the camera.

Standing next to her, holding an almost empty bottle of champagne, is a tall man with scruffy brown hair and a goatee. He has his arm around her, and looks very drunk- or maybe just stupid. But that's not all. He looks...familiar. I can't quite place my finger on it.

Tony Stark. The name races through my mind. I've heard it before, haven't I?

That's when I remember. I see him on tv at some of my engineering courses. He's Iron Man! Did my mom actually know this guy? The picture looks casual. Not like they had just met, or like my mom had just found some hot famous guy and asked for his autograph. It looks like they knew each other. They stand in front of a bar, and Tony is looking down at my mom (who was only 5'3) and beaming.

Did they date? We're they friends? Coworkers?

I push my thoughts aside and keep looking through the box. Inside, I find a large white envelope that looks like it hasn't been touched in years. It seems almost brand new, despite how old it must be. I open it. Inside is a delicate piece of paper. I turn it over. Then I quickly turn it back over out of fear.

It's my birth certificate. This is the first time I've actually seen it. This will tell me who my father is. This will tell me everything. I take ten deep breathes and flip the paper over.

Eliza Annabel Rose Stark

...Stark?

Birth Mother: Annabel Elizabeth Johnson
Birth Father: Anthony Edward Stark

I feel the paper slide out of my hands and onto the hard tiled floor beneath me. Tony Stark is my father? ...Why didn't my mom tell me? Does he know I exist? So many questions race through my mind. Should I find him? Can I find him?

I see the child service worker walk over to me and try to compose myself. "Your mother didn't say where she wanted you to go if she were to...get in an...accident" he says. I nod. "We're going to try to contact your father."

My stomach drops.

"Okay." I can barely get the word out. Will he hate me? Will I ever mean something to him? What if I don't? I see the worker dialing the number.

After a long conversation, he hangs up.

"Okay, you're all set to go, kid. Got everything?" He asks in a rush.

I nod. "Where are we going?" I reply.

"Malibu." He smirks.