Flowers For Your Grave - Chapter 4

Kate woke up early that morning. Actually, she never got enough sleep last night. All she could think about was those two murders and Richard Castle. Richard Castle. Urgh. She groaned in frustration as she thought of him. She loved his work. More than any other novelist but she never knew he could be so childish and immature.

She grabbed a cardboard box and filled it with every Richard Castle book she owned. Which was... quite a lot. Fangirl much? she thought to herself. She could hear Javi and Kevin making fun of her already.

She took a quick shower and got ready for work. It was going to be a long day. She had two murders to work on. She stopped by at a small deli for some coffee and a bear claw on her way to work.

Detectives Esposito and Ryan were at their desks working the cases. Ryan immediately noticed the huge box she carried and asked her what it was.

"Castle's greatest hits.", came her reply. "You're going to familiarize yourselves with all of the murder scenes so we don't miss anything. First victim. Male. Lawyer. Second victim. Female. Social worker. Somewhere in these books, those two are connected.", she said, while Ryan and Espo were flipping through the pages of those books.

Ryan said,"From the library of Katherine Beckett!", pointing at the first page of a book followed by Javi snickering. Really? Is that all he took from all of this? thought Kate. "Do you have a problem with reading, Ryan?"

"Yo, check it girl. You're totally a fan!". Kate tried to answer Javi by saying, "Right. Of the genre", trying really hard not to blush. What would people even think if they knew that the tough, badass detective they knew was actually a huge fangirl?

"Riiight! Of the genre. That's why you're blushing!" commented Ryan. Damn it! Who was she kidding? She was in a room full of New York's finest detectives.

"What are you, twelve?", said Kate not being able to come up with anything else to say, snatching the book out of Kevin's hand. "Profiling indicates that our perp has low intelligence, someone who has, or thinks he has a personal relationship with our author. So that's where we start.", she said as she gave Kevin back the book. Yep, the Detective was back.

Javier followed her all the way back to her desk and took a seat, observing her.

"What?", she asked.

"I work with dead bodies all day.", he started. Yeah. No shit, you're a detective, thought Beckett. "The last thing I want to do when I go home, is read murder books." Crime Fiction, she wanted to say but thought better than to correct him.

Kate finally looked up from her computer screen. "Aren't you curious?", she asked him. "Curious?", he asked questioningly. "About how people can do these kinds of things to one another.", she said raising the picture of the Tisdale crime scene.

"Whoever did this, read Castle's books and somewhere in those pages is the answer to where he'll strike next.", she explained to him. "Okay", he said understandingly as he rose from his seat.