★★★★☆ Staying Up

This is the first time I have ever drawn in a novel, for the record. I had no other paper and I was trying to stay in awake. This was at my grade camp and I had already earned the reputation as the deepest sleeper in the dorm --- the easiest target for pranking. And I was RIGHT NEXT TO THE DOOR. I shouldn't have slept.

But nothing could stop me from going to sleep early 😕. I just can't lay on a bed, doing nothing and expect not to fall asleep.

Luckily, I was not covered in tooth paste by the time I woke up. My dorm was the most inactive that night. No smearing, no spiders in slippers, no missing eyebrows. I was lucky.

I like to think of it as the universe cutting me some slack for the hell I went through because of this camp. On the Friday that we were supposed to leave, my friend and I decided to bunk the whole school day (we live in the same house and are in the same grade). Before you think I'm a irresponsible good-for-nothing, let me reassure you that I was going to use that extra time for STUDYING. For real, guys. I am the nerd who bunks school to study.

By 10 o'clock, the vice principal called us. Saying we must come back to school immediately so we don't miss her lesson. So my friend and I had to WALK to school. Just to go to a stupid, not-at-all productive Life Orientation class. The rest of my lessons were useless too. Not many people were at school because they figured the same as we did --- everybody would be too pumped for camp to do anything.

Then my friend --- I am going to call him S to protect his identity --- had to RUN back home. The car had broken down, we hadn't eaten yet, and we had an hour to get everything ready. The trip is usually 30 minutes by foot. S literally had to hold my hand and DRAG ME TO MY HOUSE SO WE WOULDN'T MISS THE BUS.

We picked up our super heavy an bulky bags, I had to leave my glorious half-made hotdog at home. AND WE RAN RIGHT BACK TO SCHOOL. WITH GIGANTIC TRAVEL BAGS. IN THE RAIN. DURING PEAK HOUR.

So I basically took the trip from my house and back 3 times in one day.

Needless to say, I was dead by the end of it. Then the next day, I had to do team exercises.

My mom like to think of it as a punishment for bunking school. I like to think of it as the reason I got good luck while on the camp. (I have a weird idea of how the world is balanced.)

By the end of camp, I had so many injuries and muscle aches that I'm surprised I didn't land in a hospital.

Anyway, back to the artwork
If you can identify the book I did this pen drawing in, I am actually going to hug you (well, virtually 🙌). The clue is the the dedication.

REMEMBER TO COMMENT AND VOTE

♥ Jamie Edge