Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Welcome to Kamloops, Scarlett Johnston," The security guard says to me as he hands me my passport back. I nod and walk to where I see Smith waiting for me. We walk out of the airport together and he hails a cab.

"Scarlett Johnston, huh? What's your name?" I ask Smith when we're on our way to the house he bought.

"James Johnston, we're brother and sister."

"Nice, okay. Is there anything else I should know?"

"Our parents died in a car crash when you were 10 and I 18. We moved here to get a fresh start after 7 years in the same city." I nod, flinching when he tells me how old I was and what happened. Did he know something that he's not telling me or did he just pick something random? Well either way, I won't have to lie that much about what happened.

"... school on Wednesday." I just realized that he was still talking.

"What?"

"I said, I'll give you a few days to unpack and settle in, but you're going to school on Wednesday."

"Can't I just wait till next Monday? I don't want to go to school in the middle of the week."

"I'll see how your injuries are fairing, but you'll most likely be going on Wednesday."

"Okay, I guess I can take that. When do you want to start teaching me?"

"I'm not going to do anything until you are completely healed. And after you're checked out by a doctor, so we'll have to find one that won't tell the police or anything. Then we need to find a gym to train at. I may actually have a place already though. Just till I know I can spare the money to buy equipment for our place." I look out the window and see that we aren't in the city anymore.

"Where's the house? You never did tell me what you bought," I state to Smith–uh, James. I should think of him as James now.

"Well, actually it's a warehouse 15 minutes away from your school, Sa-Hali. I was thinking that when I can spare the money, I'll buy equipment and keep the place when you go back to Knight."

"Nice, and expect some money from me as well. I don't want you paying for everything. Not when you've already used as much as you have for me."

"Scarlett, don't worry about money. I have lots. I've been working since I was 15, 10 years ago and my job pays very well. Just worry about yourself, okay?"

"I'm still going to get a job. I don't want to depend on you for everything. And I want the experience."

"You aren't going to budge, are you?" I shake my head. "Fine. Just focus on your health first then work and school." I nod and we fall into a comfortable silence as I watch the scenery pass by until we stop.

"Scarlett, we're here," James states and I blink before getting out.

As James pays the driver, I take his bags out of the trunk. He didn't pack much, just his clothes and electronics that he didn't want to leave behind. Everything else, we can just buy here.

"Thanks, Scarlett." James grabs one of the bags and I follow him inside as the cab drives away.

"Where are we sleeping?" I ask him once we step inside.

"I'll go into town later today and buy a few things and get everything set up. We'll have to sleep on the ground for the first few nights until I can order some beds. Now, let's take a look around this place." I put his bags down and walk off to explore.