Chapter 17: American Anthems

Liam:   We were up. We all wore outfits with red, white, and blue colors. I was almost ready to get on stage. Today's song: Kids In America. The music started and we were revealed to the world. I started singing "Starin' out a dirty old window. Down below the cars in this city go rushing by. I sit here alone and I wonder why." 

"Friday night and everyones moving I can feel the beat but its soothing. Heading down. I search for the beat in this dirty town," Niall sang happily. 

"Downtown the young one are going," all of us sang, "Down town the young ones are growing.

Finally came the course, "We're the kids in America. We're the kids in America. Everybody live for the music go round."  We continued the song, our voices echoing through the room, dancers surrounding us. I felt free, singing up there. I loved it. We were saranaded by the judges, saying that that song was what they could see us doing in a few years (you know, even though the song was very eightys and we were living in the twenty first centry). We ran off stage, excited as ever. I saw Hanna, waiting to go on stage. I walked over to her. 

"Hey," I said, sitting down next to her. 

"Hey," she said, her voice almost not there. 

"You nervous?" I asked nudging her. 

"No," Hanna said, "Just..." She laughed to herself a little, "Yeah, I am." 

"Why?" I asked, "You know they all love you right?" 

"I know. I just get scared when I have to go up there. What if I fall, or my voice cracks, or I forget the lyrics," Hanna said. 

"Yeah, I know how that is. Just remember if you fall get back up and keep going, if your voice cracks to just switch the note before something bad happens, and if you forget the lyrics lets the audience sing them," I said. Hanna smiled. 

"Thanks," she said. 

"Hanna Raymond you're on deck," one of the men said. She got up and smiled. Waving to me as she left. 

Hanna:   I heard the music start. I was rapping Party In The USA so it wasn't something people were used to. It should be awesome though, at least I hoped. 

"Hoped off the plane at LAX, with my dreams and my cardigan. Welcome to the land of fame acsess. Oh am I gonna fit in," I rapped. Maybe you can't picture it, but it actually felt good. I loved rapping this song, just cause I had done things to make it my own. Now it was time for the judges reveal. 

"I loved that. It was taking a song that was rich with Pop and changing it into a gravely Rap song. And to tell you the truth I thought you made it better," Louis said. 

"You made a song that was meant to be Pop and cute into something that made Miley Cyrus sound like she's not to be messed with," Cheryl said, "And that is talent."

Danii looked at me, "You were amazing up there, like something I have never heard in my life. I love it. You picked a song that was made for a girl your age for a change, so it really made you a possiblity for being a rapper or maybe even singer in the future." I smiled. 

"I on the other hand didn't like it," Simon said. Dang. "I thought you tried to play it like hardcore rap and the truth is that those lyrics don't support it." The crowd booed Simon. I nodded and walked off stage. Oh well. I would knock him off his feet one of these times.