Chapter 4

Swirling lights...

My eyes moved around and I tried to move but I couldn't, I tried to speak but I couldn't move my mouth. The faceless strangers seemed different to me, Maybe it was because they where calm and allowing it to happen.

Where were they going? 

Where they going to be, going to be in time some where or where they dreaming. I went to call out and I couldn't move my mouth. The lights turned into a frenzy and then I felt the pain going from my stomach to my head. I felt like someone was trying to rip my body open, The lights went in circles and then everything went dark. 

Warm arms pulled me tighter and his sent went around me "Doll, are you okay?" I opened my eyes to look at Lewis hovering over me, His face concerned "Fine."I said I sat up and he helped me up. "You where screaming."He said his tan face was paler and he looked seriously worried. 

I laughed "I had a weird dream."I said lamely, He didn't say anything but got up his chest was bare, my face felt hot as I watched him pull out a shirt and turn to me "Your dress is washed."He said pulling on the shirt letting it hang open. 

I tore my gaze from his chest to his face, "Thank you."I said he nodded and walked out of the tent. I stood up and looked around, another day, I pulled off his shirt and laid it on the cot then I slipped on my dress. 

Pulling up my knotted hair I walked outside of the tent, None of the men where around and I frowned then I heard the ruckus from a tent "Its the fever, He won't make it till night fall, Its best to just let him lay." Mosby said. I walked towards the tent with a guys surrounding it all of them looked pained and some had blank looks, the younger men except for Lewis who looked indifferent as he moved to me. 

He went to stop me but I moved out of his reach and went to Mosby who was standing over a man that was pale, shaking, and had an bullet wound that was red and leaking. "Could I do anything to help?"I asked Stefan blocked my view "What could you do? Just let him go in peace girl." He said the twist to his tone was gone and he looked just as defeated as everyone. 

"His arm is infected, The fever is his body trying to push the infection out... did you take the bullet out?"I asked my hands where shaking and I knew I looked pale because some of the men had went closer to me to catch me if I was going to faint. 

"No that would kill him." Mosby stated as the man groaned in pain "No it won't, that's what his body is pushing out, Remove the bullet clean the infected area... If it hasn't spread he should recover."I said. "I'm not amputating his damn arm."Mosby said I wobbled at the thought and someone place there hand on my back "God no! thats barbaric." I said. 

"Please, Let me do what I can to help him, at least give him a fighting chance."I pleaded looking at the man who was known for his swift raids and tactical skills. He looked at the man and then at Stefan who looked surprised at me "P..I don't... want to die."cried the feverish man. 

"You heard him Ma'am, Help him."Mosby stated Stefan nodded, I nodded and let out a calming breath.

I could do this...

I went into the tent, Men moved for me but didn't seem to want to leave so I allowed them, It was one of there comrades who was dying "Anna."Lewis said as he came behind me "Are you sure?"He asked I nodded and then looked at the man. 

He had sandy blonde hair that was drenched in sweat, He moaned again as I found the bullet wound, It was on his shoulder, The bone stopped the bullet from going all the way out of his body. I reached out and one paused to wish I had gloves before touching the swollen hole, It looked to be half healed and it was draining a yellow pus.