17. Confusion

After wandering, people watching, and just chatting away, we arrived at the entrance to the beer garden

After wandering, people watching, and just chatting away, we arrived at the entrance to the beer garden. "No trip to Navy Pier would be complete without a beer," I said, nudging Harry.

"I'll try it, but I can't guarantee I'll like it," he replied.

"That's all I can ask," I said, grinning as he placed his hand on the small of my back, ushering me in to the beer garden. We found a table right on the water's edge, with the breeze blowing in our hair and the sounds of seagulls squawking at passersby, hoping they'd drop bits of food that the gulls could scavenge. I went to the far end of the table to grab a seat so that the others didn't have to squeeze past the seats on either side of us. I thought Harry was right behind me, but when I turned around, I came face to face with a guy named Ian, whom I recognized from the hospital, only having seen him a few times. He grabbed the seat right next to mine. 

I glanced helplessly at Harry, because I had wanted him to sit by me, but it appeared that Ian had his eyes set on that exact chair. Harry fumbled past the others and managed to grab the seat on the other side of me. My friends from home seemed just fine to be mingling with the others.

We ordered a variety of pitchers so that we could sample several different beers. The pitchers arrived with several small beer glasses, designed for tasting without having to drink a full glass of each. Of course, we each got a full-sized glass as well, just in case we discovered a favorite.

"Are you ready?" I asked Harry as I filled a small glass with Molson Canadian, which in my opinion was a pretty basic beer flavor. 

"Ready for anything," he said.

"Never had beer before, Dr. Styles?" Ian asked with a hint of taunting in his voice.

Harry remained good-natured. "There's a first time for everything."

I watched intently as he took a sip. His jaw tensed as he swallowed and then he fought back a grimace.

 His jaw tensed as he swallowed and then he fought back a grimace

"Oh, it's not that bad," I said, giggling at his reaction.

"Not bad, exactly. Just surprising. There's so much flavor at the beginning, but then bitter at the end."