49. TLC Part 2

The next morning, I helped Harry pull together all of his files and other evidence of his work on the ER proposal

The next morning, I helped Harry pull together all of his files and other evidence of his work on the ER proposal. "Why do you still look so down?" I asked. Then I leaned in and murmured in his ear, letting my lips touch the skin, "Didn't last night help you to feel better?" 

His laugh came out in a little huff. "Last night was perfect," he murmured back, nipping at my cheek. "I'm just anxious, I guess. What if they think I'm lying?" 

I sat back and said, "What? Like they'll think you came home last night after the meeting and did all this work so you could take credit for her idea?"

"Well, not when you put it that way," he chuckled. 

"Make sure you give them the names and numbers of people you talked to at Children's Hospital of Michigan," I reminded him. 

"Right," he said, nodding. "I called Dr. Martin first thing, and he said he'd be free to meet me at 10:00, so I should get ready."

"You had a shower last night," I reminded him with a devilish grin on my face. 

He came back and kissed me softly on the lips. "Best shower of my life," he said quietly.

When Harry left for his meeting with the Dr. Martin, I said a little prayer on his behalf. I hoped that Durand woman would be put in her place. 

Harry returned a few hours later, his face not revealing the outcome of the meeting. He calmly came in and hung up his coat and took off his boots. I stood waiting in the middle of the room and he pretended he was going to walk right past me and into the kitchen, but I saw a little smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth.

"Get back here!" I said, grabbing his arm and pulling him low for a kiss. "What happened?" 

"I explained everything to Martin and he was convinced, especially when I told him that Dr. Durand had shot the idea down. He's going to confront her with the evidence. Hopefully that's all it will take."

"What?" I asked in astonishment. "It's not a done deal?" 

"Almost, but he just wants to hear both sides first. And he's going to call the contacts in Detroit, too."

I shook my head. "I can't believe he doesn't just take it at face value. All the evidence is there."

"Yeah," he sighed, proceeding to the kitchen now that I had let go of his arm. "I feel pretty good about it, though. Do you want some lunch?" 

"Sure, what have we got?" 

"Leftover Mexican salad, and some of that pasta we had a few nights back," he said, pulling out a bottle of water and a Diet Coke for me. 

"Mmm, pasta sounds good on a cold day," I grinned. "Can you please sprinkle a little Parmesan on top when it's done?" 

"Your wish is my command."