18. Diagnostics

I woke up to the buzzing of my phone

I woke up to the buzzing of my phone. I had been asleep against Harry's chest for who knows how long. I was just thankful I didn't start drooling on him. His arm was heavy and comforting around me. I could tell he was still asleep by the sound of his breathing, low and steady. I honestly didn't want to move, but I knew my friends were probably looking for me. I knew I should go back to my apartment to spend the remaining few hours of my friends' visit with them.

But I didn't want to.

I closed my eyes again and thought, if I fell asleep again, I could truthfully use that as an excuse for why I didn't get their message. Eventually, though, guilt got the best of me, and I grabbed my phone to read the text. Sure enough, it was from a frantic Aaliyah, asking Where are you?! 

I typed a quick reply: At Harry's

Oh really?!  Her new message read. I knew exactly the face she made as she sent her response. It was that smart-ass, sideways glance thing she did when she thought I wasn't telling the truth, or in this case, the whole truth.

Nothing happened, I quickly clarified. I'll be down in a few. 

Take your time, she texted back with a dozen different smiley faces.

It was five in the morning, the first glimpses of sunlight beginning to peek over the horizon. The view from Harry's windows was spectacular. I couldn't help but wait until several colors had come and gone, like a slow-moving kaleidoscope. I finally moved Harry's arm and sat up. He was really adorable when he slept. But I wanted him to know I was leaving.

"Harry," I whispered.

He groaned a little.

"Harry," I said more loudly, and I pushed on his arm a little. 

He opened his bloodshot eyes and looked at me with a bit of confusion.

"We fell asleep. It's almost 5:30. I need to get back downstairs since my friends are leaving in a little while."

"Sure," he said in a very deep, very groggy voice.

"Get up, drink a quart of water, take two Tylenol and go to bed," I instructed. "You'll thank me when you wake up."  

"We should talk," he said plainly as he stood up.

I had found myself hoping he wouldn't remember what I said the night before, about figuring out what we were. Not that I didn't want to define it a little more, but at the same time, I was afraid of moving too quickly. We had only met just a little over two months ago, and now we were thinking about a relationship, an exclusive relationship. It just made me anxious because it seemed like so many things could potentially go wrong. And I was an optimist, for heaven's sake! It must have been something in my gut telling me to proceed very slowly. 

"We will," I answered. "You need sleep, and so do I. When do you work next?" 

"Tomorrow night," he said then stopped and thought. "Or is it tonight? No, it's tomorrow night."