28. Acute Pain

The knock on my door startled me

The knock on my door startled me. I hadn't been home ten minutes before I heard the unexpected - and unwelcome - visitor. 

"What do you want, Harry?" I snapped as soon as I opened the door.

"Can we talk?" He asked, looking penitent, or at least trying.

"About what?" I snapped in an overly sarcastic fashion. "About the fact that you conveniently decided to get back together with your ex-girlfriend while I was gone for two days?! Or how about, let's talk about how she answered the door wearing your clothes."

"Ellie, it's not like that," he said, stepping inside. 

"Come on in," I said in a cynical voice. "I'll give you ten minutes and then I'm going to bed. I have to work tomorrow - well, no tonight, actually," I said, since it was well after midnight. "Why are you up so late anyway?" 

"I was waiting to talk to you." He spoke as if it was obvious. "I knew if I tried to call or text, you would have ignored me."

"You got that right. Now get on with it."

"Logan showed up at my door on Saturday. Out of the blue," he explained. "Before that, I hadn't seen her or heard from her in over a year."

"And you decided that you held no grudges so why not get back together?" I said, hoping he could taste the sarcasm.

"We're not back together," he replied. "Well, not...I don't know."

"What exactly don't you know, Harry? Did you want my  blessing first? Did you think I would be happy to send you back to a woman who tore your heart out?"

"I don't know," he said, letting his head flop into his hands. "I just feel like I should give this another chance, you know?" 

"No, I don't know!" I shouted in exasperation. "She walked away with no explanation, and you finally moved on, but now she's back and wants to give it another go. It makes no sense to me why you would even give her the time of day. She doesn't deserve it!"

"I don't think I ever stopped loving her," he admitted. 

Recovering from the abrupt sting of his comment, I bit back. "Well, thank you so much for allowing me to be your rebound."

"Ellie, it wasn't like that. Please," he begged. "Our friendship means a lot-"

"Don't talk to me about friendship," I spat. "If you weren't over her, you had no business letting our friendship go further. You screwed up," I said, walking towards the bathroom. "You know where the door is!" I slipped inside and shut the door, holding my sobs until I was sure he was gone.

How the hell was I going to do this? I was still very new in my position and I was sure I didn't have enough clout to request a shift change. And I knew it was exceedingly unprofessional, but I did it anyway.