Part VIII

Live fast, die young

Bad girls do it well

***

I had been running down the street when a couple of men had started chasing me. I couldn't make out if it were Niccolo's or Sergei's men, the man Niccolo were meeting with. Whoever they were, they were fast. One of them had jumped me before I had managed to get out of sight. 

Next thing I know I am back to being tied up to a chair in an ugly cell. 

And we are back at it again.

 I had only been awake for a couple of minutes when all my questions were answered by Niccolo and Alessio stepping through the door with two men I did not recognize. 

"I always knew you could not be who you said you were. I've seen the ombra, and it clearly wasn't you. However, I chose to ignore it after Dante told me that if it were true, you would be useful. And like the fool I am, I gave you a chance- " he stepped closer to me, pulling out his gun and pointing at my head. 

"And what do you do with your chance? You run and make a fool of me! Because of that, and the fact that you lied to me, you should die." 

There was an unnerving silence as Niccolo removed the safety of the gun. I kept my eyes locked on his hazel eyes, as he lowered the gun to move his face closer to mine – looking me straight in the eye. 

"Before I kill you, I need to know how you know so much about the business. I would also like to know who it is I am killing" 

Well, this did not turn out how I expected it to. 

Taking a step back from me, Niccolo continued speaking. 

"You are clearly not Eliana Black. I have never heard of an Eliana Mikhailov. So who exactly are you?" 

Keep calm. Find a plan. 

"I used to live in the Mikhailov house. My mother was a maid there. I know about tjen because he was often in the house, and he -" my voice breaks as I continue, "he used to tell me about everyone he killed and how he was the best. He talked about how he would find me and kill me if I ever told anyone". 

A single tear was making it's way down my face as I finish. 

 "Why would you lie and use his name?" Alessio said from the corner of the room. 

"I di-didn't kno-ow what to do" I said looking down. 

Niccolo were clearly done with the conversation and raised his gun at me again.

"Please don't! I will never lie to you again, I promise! Just don't kill me. I ca-can work here. I can work in the kitchen, or whe-wherever you want me to work!" tears were streaming down my face as I said my pleas. 

The men in the room must have felt uneasy with my tears because they started shifting on their feet. 

Men... so easy to predict. 

I knew that Niccolo wanted to kill me just to prove that he wouldn't be made a fool of, and humiliated by a girl. It was also clear that he didn't believe me. Still, I could not help but trust that he would not shoot me. However, he had had the opportunity several times, but never done it. 

I must be stupid to believe it, but I can't help it. 

There is a connection between us.

≈≈≈

Niccolo had decided to not shoot me. Instead I was given a job at a casino/brothel they owned. I was to work as a waitress there and had been given a room with the other ladies that worked there. To say I was not thrilled about the job would be an understatment, but I was willing to do it if it kept me from getting shot.

"Would you like another one, sir?" I asked the old man that was currently playing poker at one of the high stakes tables. 

Too focused on the game, he chose to ignore me. 

Oh, how I wish the other men did too

All night, different men had given me compliments for my body and given me some nasty comments. Some had even grabbed at me even though it was made known to them all that the waitresses were off limits. 

Not that these men abide by the law.

As soon as I had arrived at the casino and started my shift, I had asked the bartender if there was any news of a missing girl named Eliana Black. As predicted, no one had taken the time to report me missing even though I had been gone for a week. 

This is what I get for keeping to myself.

"Hey, you over there!" a loud voice boomed, making me snap out of my thoughts to look for the voice.

 Spotting a man with brown hair and olive skin sitting with his arm in the air, I quickly made my way towards him. 

"I am so sorry, sir. What would you like?" I said, putting on my fake smile. 

"I would like you under me" he said, while trying to pull off a charming smirk. 

Wanting to gag, I turned around and started to make my way towards the bar again. 

I didn't get far before I felt a strong grip on my arm stopping me on my way. The man with the nasty comment had followed me, and as soon as I stopped he pushed me against the closest wall. Taking a hold of my still aching wrists he pulled them over my head with one of his hands, while his other started to roam my body. His lips descended towards my neck, and he started planting sloppy kisses on my neck. 

Really? 

Again? 

How many times do I have to find myself in this situation?! 

Feeling disgusted by this man, I could not help what happened next. 

I kneed him in the balls. 

He let out a loud grunt as he fell to the ground clutching his privates. This caught the attention of almost all of the men in the room, and it was clear from the look on their faces that I was in some serious trouble now. 

Whoops?