Part X

It's poker, you can't see it on my face

But I'm about to play my ace

New Romantics by Taylor Swift

***

Judging from his voice, the question was not up for debate.

"Wh- what a-are you talking ab-about?" I stuttered.

Pushing me up against the wall, I was locked between the wall and his body.

"I thought that I would give you two weeks. If you were here to spy on mia famiglia you would have done it by now. But, I am done playing with you. So, you will tell me who you really are"

Tears started falling from my eyes, as I looked up at him through my lashes. He let out an annoyed sigh before I felt his hand on my neck. Pushed against the wall with his hand wrapped around my neck, I started flailing my arms to grip the hand that was on my neck. I could feel the familiar feeling of gasping for air fill me, as my lungs lost all their oxygen.

He bowed his head closer to mine, whispering in my ear, "Are you ready to tell me the truth now, ?"

Dante, who stormed into the room, looking good in a fine suit, interrupted our "conversation". His eyes went wide as he took in our position against the wall. He composed himself fast, and started talking to Niccolo, ignoring my struggle against the man.

"Mikhailov is here. He wants to talk to you about some of the shipments we have coming in"

Niccolo took some time to think before he looked at me again as he said, "well, this is the perfect opportunity to find out the truth."

He had loosened his hold on my neck when Dante entered the room, but now he let go to grab my wrist. With me dragged behind him, Niccolo was the first to leave the room. Dante was quick to catch up with us, as he started to guide us through the room. I started digging my heels into the carpeted floor to no avail as Niccolo continued his stride without a second glance at me. We were making our way towards a secluded poker table, meaning that this was not a planned meeting seeing as it were not held in a room.

"Don't you have other people to talk to first? You can't just leave the people you came in here with," I said, while I tried putting my weight into stopping him.

It didn't work, and I ended up landing on my butt while he continued to drag me on the ground. We were capturing the attention of everyone in the room, but Niccolo didn't seem to care.

He looked down at me as he answered, "They can talk with Dante while we handle this business. If you don't get off the floor right now, I will throw you over my shoulder".

He didn't give me time to react before I was thrown over his shoulder and carried over towards the poker table.

"You Neanderthal! I can walk on my own" I huffed while I pounded my fist into his back.

Choosing to ignore me, he only placed me down on the ground when we reached his desired destination. Feeling the blood rush out of my head, I took in the people around the table. Niccolo's body shielded me as I took in the different men settled around the table. Two unknown men were seated next to the one and only Viktor Mikhailov. His looks hadn't changed much in the last 5 years since I last saw him. His black hair however, now had streaks of white in it, and his face showed worry lines. His almost black eyes settled on Niccolo standing in front of me, and the familiar mask slipped on.

"Genovese, how nice of you to take the time to meet with me" he said in his tick Russian accent.

"Of course, Mikhailov. Now before we start this meeting I was wondering if you could answer me on who this is", he said, pulling me in front of him.

Please, let this go well.

Slowly letting my gaze settle on Viktor, I could see the look of surprise he did not hide.

Keep on the mask. Don't let him know your next move.

Niccolo must have noticed the look of recognition that flashed in Viktor's eyes, because a smirk made it's way across his lips.

"Now, you two clearly know each other so how about we talk about this over some poker, ?" Niccolo said. It surprised me when he pulled out a chair for me, before he made himself comfortable in his own chair.

I never would have thought that he could be capable of being a gentleman.

Niccolo told the dealer the amount we would have in chips before placing someone in front of me.

He can't be serious.

The cards were dealt, and the game began.

"Eliana here came to me a couple of weeks ago. She heard something she shouldn't have, and suddenly she is telling us that she is Eliana Mikhailov" Niccolo said.

"Not only did she tell that, but she also said she was l'ombra. We decided to humor the idea, and it did not end well for us".

I threw in more chips.

"Then she makes up a new story about her mother being a maid working at your house. This girl can't seem to make up her mind, and I was hoping you could enlighten us".

Only Niccolo, Viktor and me were left in the game.

"What she do?" is the simple answer Viktor gives.

I could see Niccolo clenching his jaw, trying to compose himself. "She ran away. She has been down here for the last couple of weeks".

Viktor looked up at me before answering Niccolo, "you should just leave her here".

Niccolo's poker face was slipping, giving way to anger as Viktor avoided his question.

"I know she has something to do with you, because she knows too much about the business. And you will tell me right now, who she is and who she is to you".

"You could ask her," Viktor said, staring at Niccolo to see his next move.

"I call" Niccolo said, "I have tried, but she seems to be having an identity crisis. Judging from your expression when you saw her, she clearly has a meaning for you. For all I know she might be a mole, meaning I should really just kill her and get it over with".

Niccolo was loosing his focus on the game, and Viktor had all of his focus on Niccolo.

"I call" Viktor said.

Niccolo showed his cards, a full house.

Next was Viktor, showing a hand consisting of four of a kind.

The men was both glaring at each other, completely forgetting about me.

Showing my hand I said, " Royal flush" and pulled out Niccolo's gun.