Part XV

Will you pour me one for the road?

I knew this would be on the cards

I knew you wouldn't fold

I saw this coming from the start

***

"What is going to stop me from using my gun on you and make you take me back?" Niccolo asked, as he continued to watch me. 

"I would think that the lack of bullets would stop you" I said with a huge smile. As soon as the words left my lips, he went to check his gun and cursed when he found it empty. 

"How did you know?" he said in a low tone of voice. 

"It's another one of my tricks. Seeing as you are my hostage and travel buddy, I will tell you. Your posture changes when the weight of the gun is lessened. It's a tiny change. You probably didn't notice it because you were caught up in the fight, but I saw the change. But don't blame yourself, honey. I was trained to notice it" I sent him a smile as I finished. 

I couldn't tell if he were mainly impressed or annoyed. 

"Back to business, do you want to play 20 questions?". 

He let out a long sigh before answering me, "you will never give up, will you?". 

Shaking my head a no, he muttered something in Italian before saying to go ahead. 

"Can you please take off your shoes?" I pleaded. 

He only shook his head no. I grunted in dissaproval.

"How many siblings do you have?" I asked instead.

"I have two sisters and two brothers" he answered, and I immediately noticed the change in him. He clearly loved his family and missed them. 

"How did you get my phone off me? And how long did you plan to kidnap me?" he asked, and the tension and anger was back. 

"That's two questions, moshennik. However, I am in a giving mood so I will answer both. You lost it when we were running, and I had nothing to do with it. It fell out of your pocket on it's own. For the second question, I did not have it planned but I thought why not when I first had the opportunity" I answered with a shrug. 

"How old are you?"

"I'm 28. Why did you want me to join you on this road trip?"

Thinking the question through, I had no idea what to answer. 

"I'm used to being alone, and I thought it would be fun with some company" I could tell that we both were uncomfortable with my answer so I quickly added," and I also love to annoy you. You truly are great entertainment". 

I stole a glance at him and noticed that he was deep in thought. 

"How old were you when you first killed?".

 This caught his attention, and his head snapped to my direction. 

" I was 11. My dad had given up on my older brother, and decided it was time to see what I was good for. How about you?" 

I hadn't expected him to ask me the same question, and I was stuck in my memories for a minute before I truthfully answered, "5 or 6. I can't remember. It was early at least. I couldn't even hold the gun" I let out a dark laugh before continuing "they helped me by holding the gun, as they whispered into my ear how good I was". Niccolo seemed as caught off guard as I was about my answer, and silence settled between us.