Chapter One: The Dream

Jayson spun around as a voice filled his ears. It called his name over and over again. The voice seemed to come from everywhere, but there was no one with him. He began running full out, headed for the creek and the little drawbridge he and his friends had made to access their tree house. With each step he took, the voice grew louder and louder. The sun was beginning to grow brighter, and still the voice called to him. He could barely make out the trees anymore.

He stopped running. There was a flash of white light, and Jayson woke with a start, lying flat on his back as if he had dropped straight through the ceiling. The pull chain on the fan above his bed swayed in time with his still rapid breathing. He rubbed his eyes and took several deep breaths. The haziness that had plagued his dream subsided in the light of another typical Swansdale, Ohio morning. It was daybreak, and the sun had just peeked over the horizon, casting misty patterns of pink, amber and gray tones across the sleepy little housing community. It had rained that night, and the foliage seemed to be alive with thousands of twinkling Christmas lights as the morning sun hit the tiny droplets.

His Jack Russel Terrier, Jesse, quietly snored beside him. Jayson scratched behind the dog's ears as he turned to face his alarm clock. 7:02 AM.

"Crap!" Jayson flung his blankets off the bed, sending Jesse to the floor. The little dog pranced around his feet as Jayson grabbed for pants here and a shirt there. He wasn't entirely sure whether his socks matched, and his thick red hair was sticking up every which way. He tried to flatten it as he raced down the hall to the living room skidding to a stop long enough to slip on his shoes.

"Good morning," said his mother from the kitchen table. She did not sound pleased as her son tore through the house, and looked even less thrilled as she raised an eyebrow at him.

"Good morning! Love you! Bye!" said Jayson slamming the front door on his untied shoelace. He opened the door again to free himself. He smiled sheepishly at his family who sat together eating at the kitchen table. His little sister, Jessica, rolled her eyes at him and stuffed another spoonful of Frosted Flakes in her mouth.

Jayson slammed the door closed behind him and winced. He hadn't meant to shut it so hard. He leaped down the small set of porch steps in a single jump and took off for his friend, Leo DeHaven's house. He breezed past a jogger making her way around the block and barked back at the neighbor's dog as he ran.

He approached Leo's front door breathless and clutching at a stitch in his side. After a moment, he raised his hand to knock on the door. His knuckles nearly collided with Leo's pudgy face. Leo whipped back just in time, and his blonde hair fell into his blue eyes.

"Dude! You almost broke my glasses!" Leo cried.

"Sorry," said Jayson with a sheepish grin as he stepped past Leo and into the living room. "And sorry I'm late."

"For you, Jayson," Mr. DeHaven called from the kitchen, "late is right on time."

Jayson shrugged and ambled into the kitchen. He plunked himself in a chair beside their friend, Jack Mitchel. Jack sat staring into a cup of hot chocolate and coffee, the bags under his eyes more pronounced than usual. A copy of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet lay on the table beside him. No doubt it was his natural knack for poetry that had Jessica swooning over him. His perfect, wavy brown hair and towering height probably had something to do with it too. Despite Jack's slightly disheveled appearance that morning, he greeted Jayson with a wide smile that lit up his hazel eyes.

"Egg sandwiches!" sang Mr. DeHaven, and a steaming plate of sloppy egg sandwiches appeared on the table in front of the boys.

"Oh, you really didn't have to do that," Jack mumbled. His smile faded, and he looked from the plate of sandwiches to Mr. DeHaven with guilt.