Chapter Twenty: Cadenceberries, part one

The soldiers in Cannondole stared at the sky above them. It had been clear with a bright, golden sun all day. But a massive storm had suddenly rolled over the town and was threatening to bear down on them. The soldiers scratched their heads and tugged at their beards. It appeared the very center of the storm hung directly over Lord Valin's manor.

Inside, Jayson, Jack, Leo, and Piper sat on the floor staring out the large bay window in Valin's bedroom. They had been concentrating all their will at the sky for hours and into the growing storm cell that now hung above the manor.

Dimitri stood close by watching. There was something about Valin he couldn't trust. He refused to let his guard down while Valin was anywhere near Piper. He didn't know what had transpired between them earlier that morning, but whatever it was, there was an unease in Piper that Dimitri could sense all the way from Tutaria, and he didn't like it.

The abrupt downpour of rain against the glass broke Leo's concentration. He looked up at the candelabra burning low across the room from them.

"Guys," he whispered. "I think it's close to time."

Piper glanced at the candles and nodded her agreement. "The storm is strong enough to hold its own for a while."

They rose from the floor, stiff and sore and rubbing at their aching muscles. Valin, who had been sitting at his desk, stood and offered a helping hand to Piper. She took it and smiled her thanks at him. Dimitri rushed in, shoving a piece of bread into her hand.

"You need to replenish your strength," he said. Piper smiled and kissed his cheek.

Within a few hours, the sky was pitch black. No moon or stars could be seen through the thick torrent of cloud cover that beat down upon Cannondole. The townsfolk had long since taken refuge in their homes, and great plumes of smoke could be seen pouring from the chimneys as they tried to stay warm. The soldiers were not so fortunate. Their fire pits were flooded, as were their tents and boots. They were miserable and hunkered down beneath what blankets they could find. Even the makeshift lean-to's they had erected at the edge of the forest leaked, and the torches would not light. Leo smiled as he surveyed the scene out a back kitchen window.

"Brilliant idea," Jack said, patting his friend on the back.

Leo smiled. "Thanks. I just figured we might as well use the magic we've been taught, ya know?"

"It was a very good idea," said Valar, handing the boys their packs. They were newly laden with clean clothes, food, flint and their stolen tabards for when they reached the palace.

"Of course, it was!" said Jayson joining them. He was dressed for traveling, like the others, a heavy hood and woolen cloak trailing behind him. "It's Leo."

"Hey, is Valin okay?" Jack asked Valar. "He seemed, I don't know, kind of uneasy about us using our magic."

Valar sighed and laid a hand on Jack's shoulder. "You must understand, magic is still outlawed and feared by most. The very man who changed the way we think of magic now resides as the soul of Princess Taraniz. We were once peaceful, the elves, dwarves, merfolk, humans, even dragons. Then, Noraedin decided to use his magic in a way we never imagined. It changed the way we thought of ourselves and our powers. Neighbors turned on each other. Brothers killed brothers out of greed and power. Chartile has never completely recovered from the wrongs you are working to make right."

"So, no pressure," said Jayson. Valar surprised them and laughed a deep, hearty chortle, his eyes brimming with tears.

"What did we miss?" Dimitri asked sternly as he and Piper joined the group.