Chapter Eighteen: Into Cannondole, part one

Dimitri's heart raced as he walked up the road toward Cannondole. He loved the thrill of the unknown, especially when Nefiri had sent him to spy on the elders and certain Elven nobility. This, however, was different. If he were caught, they would begin looking for Piper and the boys. He couldn't let that happen. He wouldn't let it happen. He had to protect them at all cost.

He walked the main road, his face obscured by his hood, hands clasped together beneath his robes. He began running scenarios over in his mind. He never planned what he would say. The mark of a good spy was his art of improvising. He rounded the bend, and a large wagon came bouncing and creaking down the road beside him. Dimitri smirked and stepped to the side.

Two soldiers stepped out from either side of the road and held up a hand to stop the driver.

"State your business," said the soldier to the left. He sounded bored, which meant he was likely not on high alert, and Dimitri's smile deepened.

"Goods from Serestell," said the wagon driver, confused as to the soldiers' presence. "I'm headed to Castielle, sirs."

The soldier on the right looked the wagon over. He glanced at Dimitri, who stood lazily beside the cart. He smiled and nodded to the soldier, leaning against the wagon nonchalantly. The soldier eyed him for a moment, and Dimitri's heart beat harder and faster. The soldier nodded back and continued his search of the wagon. Dimitri breathed a sigh of relief. Posing as the merchant's son had been a trick he had used before, but never when the dwarves had been under such scrutiny with the elves. The soldier on the left recovered the goods in the wagon with the burlap tarp. Nothing more than woven baskets and mats.

"Move along," he said and waved the merchant on. Dimitri gave a friendly wave to the soldier on the right as he passed. He continued beside the cart, staying just out of the driver's vision. They rounded another corner by the chantry and Dimitri ducked behind a tree.

The Lord of Cannondole lived in a small estate manor behind the Chantry of Canna, facing the very center of town. Dimitri saw Cannondole was filled with soldiers, but certainly not enough as to be a threat to Fortress Kelsii. Valar had been the Lord of Cannondole before his appointment as the King's advisor. His son, Valin, had taken his father's place in running the bustling town several years ago. But, since Valar's disappearance after King Aramor's death, walking up to the front door was out of the question. Dimitri would have to improvise. He stepped back onto the road, his hood still drawn up, and headed toward the town center.

The Glass Lantern was Cannondole's main inn for travelers and the town's most popular tavern for a pint. It was rumored to have a history of aiding those loyal to the magical arts after the fall of Duke Noraedin, but it was only rumor. Dimitri held the hanging wooden sign in his sights for a moment. It might be the perfect place to look for someone foolish enough to help him get to Valin. He stepped off the main road as a group of rowdy soldiers emerged from the inn. The door slammed open, and Dimitri stepped back into the shadows of the building. There was no need, as the soldiers appeared thoroughly drunk. Dimitri stepped through the door before it closed, and allowed his eyes to adjust to the dim light.

A handful of people sat in the tavern that morning, and the last of the soldiers seemed to have just departed. Dimitri realized he had no coin or anything to trade or barter with. He lowered his hood and approached the bar.

"Evening, sir," said a pretty young girl from behind the bar block. "Will it be board or booze for you?" she asked, flashing a toothy smile. Her fingers deftly counted out the coins left on the bar with one hand as she balanced a tray with the other.

"Neither," said Dimitri, and he flashed his sultry smile back at her. "I'm only passing through, and needed a place to rest my feet out of the wind for a bit."

"Aye, sir," said the girl. "My name is Atana if you change your mind. Where are you heading', if you don't mind my asking?" She set the tray beside her and began scrubbing them clean as she talked.

Dimitri hesitated, gently stroking the stubble on his chin and replied, "I have a message from the Chamberlain of Duneland to the Lord of Cannondole." The lie rolled off his tongue. "Simply financial in nature, but..." He lowered his voice and leaned over the bar. The girl leaned in closer, her eyes locked onto Dimitri's. She blushed when Dimitri came so close she could feel his breath on her cheek. "It is a matter he would prefer to keep private. You understand. You wouldn't happen to know anyone who could..." He ran his fingers through his hair and licked his lips. He looked over his shoulder, pretending not to notice as Atana blushed and suppressed a shiver. "Make any sort of formal introduction, would you?"

Dimitri grabbed a grape from a dirty plate behind the counter and tossed it in the air to catch in his mouth. Again, he leaned forward, resting his elbow on the bar and his chin on his hand. He looked at the girl with his eyebrows raised in an innocent stare.

The girl did not speak for several long seconds. She opened her mouth, then closed it again, swallowing and glancing behind her nervously.

"Meet me in the stables in a half hour," she said and rushed off.

Dimitri stretched and swunghis feet onto the chair beside him, a smug grin spreading across his face.