Separate Ways (Haru)

My memories they have returned, but why don't I feel happy. Something was keeping me from happiness, it was pride, guilt, and denial. I almost lost my best friend Makoto, because of my selfishness, if only I confessed to him instead of lying and saying everything was okay. To be honest, Australia was devastating for me Rin tried to comfort me or cheer me up. But when I saw the big swimming arena, I felt no pain anymore it was just the water reflecting. But now it's too late, I leave tomorrow for a swimming competition at Sydney. Who knows when I'll be back here in Iwatobi and see Makoto and my other friends. All I know is that I need to tell Makoto how I truly feel, before I leave and might not see him for a long time.

Previous Day

*knock* *knock* damn it! open the door!

I quickly gained my consciousness back and opened the door it was Rin and his sister Gou.

"Haru, what's gotten in to you?" Rin asked.

"Rin, I got my memories back I remember everything" I confessed.

"That's great Haru, now you ca-" Gou uttered.

"So are you ready to swim again?" Rin interrupted.

Was I ready to be with the water again, it was either that or stay here. Do I even have a choice? I thought for a second and saw the flashback of when Makoto encouraged me to do this. Swim professionally, living the dream. No, I'm not I can't, I'll never be after what happened with me and Makoto.

"Ummmm, I don't know" I finally responded.

"It's Makoto isn't it?" Rin commented.

"uh," I was speechless I couldn't respond.

"Look, Haru I know we may not be in good terms but I can read you, Makoto means so much to you" Rin continued.

He was right, Makoto meant the world to me. I risked my life looking for someone who never even left. I sacrificed my arm, when the swing almost collapsed on Makoto. I've been risking my life, because I loved Makoto my entire life. Leaving him to go swimming, I regret that decision. The whole trip to Australia I was mute for 5 years, I didn't talk or say anything unless it was necessary. Rin brought me to the beach and all I did was stare at the water no tears. Swim meets, I just nodded and just swam. Rin was there and I pushed him away, we were childhood friends and he wanted to cheer me up.

Being attached to Makoto created a huge obstacle for me, I couldn't live without him. I was a reck, just because of that. Now, I know I must learn to let go and to fulfill my dream. Tears were almost dropping, but I held it in.

"Yes, Rin I'm ready to swim" I stood up and blurted it out.

"Alright then, tomorrow meet me at the airport we are going back to Australia" Rin addressed.

"Are you sure Haru?" Gou asked.

"Yes, Gou I'm sure" I nodded.

Rin and Gou then went out the door and I started to pack up my things. I looked around my room and saw the frames hanged on my wall. Me, Makoto, Nagisa, and Rin when we were younger; me and Makoto at the swim club, rin, makoto, and I outside Iwatobi High. I couldn't help but take the one off the wall, which was me and Makoto. I held it against my chest and shed all the painful tears I've been holding in for the past 5 years.

~Goodbye, Makoto it's time for me to move on and live the dream