Chapter 13: BREEZY NIGHT

As Nathan drove  Anita along back to her godparents' place, the sun glared into the car from the horizon.  Dinah Washington's vocals pumped through the radio speakers.

Nathan clicked off the dial.  "About dinner... Well, before."

"Nita, when I was younger, when my dad was alive, life was... -turbulent."

"He was a real jerk, -treating my mom, badly.  She put up with a lot." he said quietly.

"I just...I hope she doesn't make the same mistake."

"...She did make him leave," Anita said.

"Yes," he replied. 

"That's more than she used to do."

"I wish she'd just get rid of him permanently. ...Find someone worthy of her."

****

As they cruised along, Nathan pointed out some of his childhood spots, including the infamous lake. Anita could just see the reflective sheen of the water peeking through the trees.

Nathan pulled up to Anita's godparents' home at seven thirty, a half an hour earlier than they'd asked.

Mr. Jimmy was working late at the store, so Esther met them at the door. The stern-looking woman wore a wide-brimmed straw hat and a faded flower-print mu'umu'u.

"Thank you, for bringing her back." she said, her lips pursed, as she ushered Anita through the threshold.

"It's my pleasure, Mrs. Haines. My mother really enjoyed Anita's company."

"I'm sure." she said, unconsciously waving a gnat away from her face.

"Anita, there's sweet tea in the kitchen. Why don't you bring out a couple of glasses? I'd like a word with young Mr. Fulton, here."

She glanced at the them both apprehensively.

"Yes, 'mam." she said, as her footfalls on the creaky floor faded into the kitchen.

"Have a seat, young man." Esther said, gesturing at a hideous pink aluminum outdoor chair, gently rocking on a track in the breeze.

He sat down and Esther sat across from him, in a large wicker chair. "Since you've brought her back early, I thought we might have time for a few words. Do you have time, young man?"

Anita reappeared in the doorway holding two sweaty glasses.

"Oh, thank you, dear." Esther said grabbing them both. She handed one off to Nathan.

"Now, would you mind finishing shelling them peas out back?"

"Yes, mam." she said, lingering for a moment to give Nate an encouraging look.

"-Hurry on, now."

After her footsteps stopped, Esther took a long swallow of tea.

Sighing she asked. "How old are you?"

"Seventeen."

"Seventeen." she repeated as she sat back in her chair. 

"Well. I'm sixty-eight years old. I know much more about what life is than you do, young man."

She sipped her tea. 

"One thing that always stays the same, is whites stays with whites and negroes with negroes. God had the tribes separate on different continents for a reason." she said, leaning forward.