Chapter 14: THERE AND BACK AGAIN

As they lay in each others arms, in that comfortable space between wakefulness and sleep, the phone rang loudly, startling them both.

Anita hopped out of bed.

She ran down the steps and into the parlor.  The phone was on a side-table. She picked up the heavy receiver and spoke.

"Hello?"

"Oh, good, I got through...Whew!"

"It's your godmother Esther."  she said, as if Anita didn't recognize her voice.

"-Mam?"

"Look, here child..." she said quieting her voice.

"Looks like Sister Francis is needing an extra hand this evening. Her husband passed recently, and she was just looking pitiful today. She needs help around with handy work 'round the house, so my husband is staying too."

"We just can't leave her like this, it ain't Christian...I need you to mind the house, 'til the morning. I'll still have you at the station by noon."

Anita could hear the woman in the background howling.

"Yes, mam." She said trying to sound neutral.

"Alright. Eggs are in the fridge and potatoes are in the bin. We're out of sausage, but you can fry you up some hash browns with your eggs, tomorrow."

"Yes, mam."

"Okay, then.-" 

She paused just a moment.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

Anita waited until Esther hung up first.

****

Anita crept back to her room, only to find a somewhat dressed Nathan, wearing his boxers and his t-shirt.

"My godparents are staying out 'til tomorrow morning." She said in a disbelieving voice.

Nathan raised his eyebrows. 

"Don't cast an eyeball at me, it's real...Honest.  She's never lied to me in her life."

Nathan rubbed his bottom lip. It was an adorable habit that Anita noticed he always did when he had some sly idea.

"Let's get out of here."

"What? But I was just getting comfortable..."

Nathan hopped up and grabbed her hand.

"-Let's go."

"Nathan, I'm still wearing my nightgown!"

"It's okay..." 

He lead her down her stairs and into the front room.

"You're always so serious." he said.

Nathan pushed open the creaky screen door and let Anita out first.

"Someone has to be." she said, screwing up her lips.

"Just...get in the truck."

"Not until you tell me where we're going and promise to have me back before first light."

"...But you said they wouldn't be back until tomorrow morning."

"Promise me, Nathan!"

"I promise."