Chapter 5

Sagar tried dialing her number again. There was dial tone. It was the fifth or the sixth time he was trying to get Meera on the phone.

He started to panic. Just then someone answered the phone, 'Hello?'

It was a rough male voice.

' Hello? Who is this? Where is my wife?' Sagar screamed into the phone.

' May I know your name please? I am Inspector Abdul Rahim.' The speaker had an Arabic accent.

That made him really nervous. Where is she? What has happened to her. A thousand questions sprang in his mind.

'This is Sagar. Meera's husband.' He answered politely this time.

The police inspector directed him to reach the hospital emergency as soon as possible. Meera had met with an accident when she was returning from work. A truck that tried to overtake her car crashed against it pushing the car over-bridge.

Sagar felt as if his head was going round and round. He thought such incidents happened only to others or in movies. Unless faced with , no one is ready for the unseen.

Accompanied by Omar, he rushed towards the Rashidiya Hospital Emergency Unit.

They were led to the Ward where Meera was being taken care of. But they were not allowed inside the ICU where she was placed. They could only view her through the glass door. She was unconscious. A hundred wires and tubes ran all over her body.

Omar held on his father's hands tightly. He stared at her and stood so stiff that Sagar had to actually shake him in order to make him normal. He didn't cry. But the shock was seen all over his young face.

For Omar, mother was a person who was always around. Who was always active. Who always supported him whatever he did. He was into sports -practising cricket and badminton on alternate days. He was also interested in music lessons. His mother always stood by him and drove him around to his classes without ever missing one.

Even if his father got busy with his friends over weekend parties, mother always tried to spend time with him.

Her sight inside the ICU was very heartbreaking for him. She lay there as if she were lifeless. Her face was swollen and unrecognisable. She was covered in the hospital robe. If his father hadn't told him it was his mother, he wouldn't ever know.

Mother was always a careful driver. He used to make fun of her driving comparing to a tortoise. He used to tell her that someday when he get his own car, he would take her for a real car drive. 

And , she lay there, without moving. With tubes running all over her.  He felt for the very first time in his life, more like an orphan. 

Sagar was not very close to Omar. He was not a children's man. He was a strict father. He had his kind of friends with whom he spent his free time with. He family time was limited to the late evenings when they watched TV together. 

Everything at home was managed by Meera.

l�٘�|�